Modify default value of LoginShell attribute RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are configuring the "UNIX Attributes" tab here in our organization.

I've noticed that on the Login Shell option it has a default value: /bin/sh

So I had manually changed it to: /bin/bash

My question is: Is there a way to change the default value to /bin/bash?

Searched for it on ADSI edit and no joy.

PS: Found this website showing that using a special software we can change it. http://documents.software.dell.com/DOC123819

I just want to change it without that software =]

Friday, October 31, 2014 6:27 PM

Answers

• Hi Vandrey,

Based on my test, we can use the script "Use Get-AdUser / Set-AdObject" to achieve your goal.

Get-AdUser -Filter * | Set-AdObject -Replace @{unixhomedirectory='/bin/sh','bin/bash'} -WhatIf

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to another community members reading the thread."

Friday, November 14, 2014 1:41 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you try to use ADUC to change the default value of Login Shell?

According to this MS article, you could change it:

Change a user's default shell

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753189.aspx

Regards.

Vivian Wang

Monday, November 3, 2014 9:31 AM
  • Vivian Wang,

Thanks for replying.

But I've already changed the login shell value for a user.

What I'm asking here is how I can change the default value "/bin/sh" so I won't have to change every user manually.

Monday, November 3, 2014 11:37 AM
  • Hi Vandrey,

Does this mean you want to finish this thing via script or Group Poicy?

Thursday, November 13, 2014 2:55 AM
  • Hi Vandrey,

Based on my test, we can use the script "Use Get-AdUser / Set-AdObject" to achieve your goal.

Get-AdUser -Filter * | Set-AdObject -Replace @{unixhomedirectory='/bin/sh','bin/bash'} -WhatIf

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to another community members reading the thread."

Friday, November 14, 2014 1:41 AM
  • Bryan Yu-MSFT,

I'll accept it as an answer 'cause is the only way to change that value...

What I really wanted was to change the value on AD database or something like it. So when we configure that option to a user the default option would be "/bin/bash" and not "/bin/sh".

Anyway. Thanks everyone for the help =]

Friday, November 14, 2014 6:43 PM