XP Home Virus Damaged DHCP & DNS How To Repair? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an XP Home machine that belongs to a friend of mine who brought it to me infected with one of those phony Anti-Virus viruses. I managed to remove the virus and repair most of the damage that the virus caused however the last problem that I can't seem to fix no matter what is that some of the network services are not working.

I've done a repair install and then installed SP3 but no matter what the system can't get an IP address via DHCP and if I assign it one manually DNS name resolution is not working. I've checked the files in \Windows\system32\drivers\etc and just in case copied the files from a good working XP machine to replacing the hosts and other files but still nothing.

One example of something seriously wrong is: on a normal machine if I type "ping 192.168.1.1" ping responds with "Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:" on this machine if I issue that command I get "Pinging <garbage> with 32 bytes of data:" where garbage appears to be two accented foreign characters.

I've used any number of utilities such as WinSockFix as well as manually resetting tcp/ip as described in kb299357 and have not been able to correct this problem.

Has anyone ever seen this problem or have some other suggestions on how to repair this?

Thanks,

- Chris

Monday, May 2, 2011 11:28 PM