Automatically populate custom list field with external data RRS feed

• Question

• My requirement is fairly simple - I need the manager field in my custom list to default to the user's current manager in our HRIS system.  I have already created an application definition file and can view the external data via BDC.  Ideally, the user will not even see the Manager field and it is populated for them via a workflow or some other process, after they create an item in the list.  Is there a way using SPD to lookup the user's manager in the BDC and store that in a variable to be used later in the workflow?  Or, is there a better way to achieve this?  All I want is for the manager field to populate from the external data source automatically.

We cannot do a lookup to AD as in our organziation as AD is not always 100% accurate (a future project down the road will ensure that AD is updated automatically as changes occur in our HRIS system) so for now, I need to rely on the external data source to obtain the correct manager.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 7:06 PM

Answers

• Hi there,

Thank you for your forum posting. I've read over it an a suggestion for this would be to create a list that has both your users and managers displayed in them. Afterwards have the workflow update the list item in the currently with a column from the custom list which contains your bdc information, and have it compare the users name in the first list to the user name in the bdc list. This should work as I've tested it on my end and it works just fine for me.

Gregg

MSFT

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 5:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Sephiroth0327,

Thank you for your question.
    I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Thanks,
    Lhan Han
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 7:16 AM
  • Hi there,

Thank you for your forum posting. I've read over it an a suggestion for this would be to create a list that has both your users and managers displayed in them. Afterwards have the workflow update the list item in the currently with a column from the custom list which contains your bdc information, and have it compare the users name in the first list to the user name in the bdc list. This should work as I've tested it on my end and it works just fine for me.

Gregg

MSFT

Tuesday, May 1, 2012 5:59 PM
  • Thanks for the suggestion Gregg - but if I put the data in a custom list, then it becomes static and is not updated as the data changes.
    Tuesday, May 1, 2012 6:41 PM
  • I'm afraid it's not that simple given the current situation. As far as I know, SPD won't be able to do the lookup that you're asking for. Does the HRIS system provide web services to query it's database? And what's the custom list being used for?

Pman
    http://www.pmansLab.com/

Friday, May 4, 2012 3:03 PM