Multiple User Logon Screen RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Windows 7 Ultimate on 10/17. When I finished, I added the various family members userid's & set up each account. For 1 week, anytime we logged off of a userid, all 4 other userid's were displayed. On 10/24 (1 week later), they disappeared & I can't get them back. I called tech support & allowed the person to remote & he could not get them to reappear either. The only thing that appears now is the last person that was logged on & a window that shows "Other User" which requires you to type in a user name & password. Previously, all the user names were displayed, you clicked on the one you wanted, & typed in the password. How do I get this to go back to that display?
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 3:11 AM

Answers

• Above all, this is not a solution but a workaround and I cannot confirm if it can fix the issue.

Create a key HKEY_LOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

Create following value:

Data Type: DWORD

Value Name: <Note>

Setting for Value Data:1

Note: Input the user name which you would like to let it displayed on logon screen. If there are several accounts, create several values here.

Meanwhile, I would like to collect following information:

1. If the computer is in domain please let me know.
    2. Please let me know if all other accounts are administrator accounts.

I will do more research on this issue if above method cannot help workaround.

Thursday, October 29, 2009 9:34 AM

All replies

• Above all, this is not a solution but a workaround and I cannot confirm if it can fix the issue.

Create a key HKEY_LOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

Create following value:

Data Type: DWORD

Value Name: <Note>

Setting for Value Data:1

Note: Input the user name which you would like to let it displayed on logon screen. If there are several accounts, create several values here.

Meanwhile, I would like to collect following information:

1. If the computer is in domain please let me know.
    2. Please let me know if all other accounts are administrator accounts.

I will do more research on this issue if above method cannot help workaround.

Thursday, October 29, 2009 9:34 AM
  • You may check this.
    In your Search dialog box, type and run
    secpol.msc

Navigate to:
    Local Policies | Security Options

Set options:
    Interactive logon: Do not display last user name: Disabled
    Interactive logon: Do not require CTRL+ALT+DEL: Enabled
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 9:47 AM
  • (After a crash that now calls my Windows 7 installation (Recoverd) I had this OTHER USER bug for a year or two!) Solved it finally. 

OTHER USER only logon bug... ONE BLANK ICON..says OTHER USER. Must type in both logon name and password to get into any logon account. Stupid annoying thing to happen in Windows 7.

I fixed it! Go to RUN or Search..Type: "secpol.msc"

then go to local policies/security options/interactive logon: do not display last user name ...make it: DISABLED

Then TYPE in RUN or Search:
    "control userpasswords2" for user controls. Check users must enter a user name ..reboot...GOT my old logon with Picture and just type in password and has all the other icons back of other accounts!

I did not have the .DEFAULT to delete and other stuff in Regedit method of trying to fix this found on the web. I had put in .DEFAULT key in Regedit to see what it would do and then ONLY my Main Account was shown.. by deleted the added key .DEFAULT all the icons were shown too.

Very happy now but it did take 3 hours of web search and screwing around with all these solutions that did nothing.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 6:03 AM