none
How can I sort resources? RRS feed

• Question

• Good morning everyone!

I am planing a big project and I have many resources (more than 1000).

How can I sort them? I`d like to structure them in folders e.g. -> Material -> Repair Parts -> Screws

I`m using Microsoft Project 2010

Thank you!

Dave

Monday, November 18, 2013 8:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Dave,

Have you though about creating a resource custom field, such as "Material resource structure"?

It could be :

1. Repair Part

1.1 Screws

1.2 aaa

2 bbb

2.1 fff

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

• Marked as answer by Dave Van Gaal Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:51 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Dave Van Gaal Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:52 AM
    Monday, November 18, 2013 1:43 PM
  • Thanks you!

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly. I think I can't change the field "Resource Name" and that's the column I need to change to have the structure on the resources and also in the gantt chart, when I allocate the resources, isn't it?

Do you maybe have any suggestion for that?

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 10:12 AM
  • Hi Dave,

Maybe you could give us more details, in particular why you want to have thestructure in the resource name.

Basically, Project Server does not work that way. You will define resources with the resource name field, then you will associate metadata to them through resource custom fields, such as RBS (out of the box) or any custom metadata you need. Then you will be able in the Gantt chart to sort or filter project data based on those metadata.  Moreover you will be able to edit reports (excel services, SSRS) based on those metadata. 

Also what I can suggest is to read best practices about WBS. Basically you will structure your project plan in work packages and delivrables in a Gantt chart.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 12:15 PM
  • Dave,

Are you using Project Server or just Project (desktop app)?

You can use the column "Group" to set custom groups that will allow you to order, filter and group resources.

You can also create custom fields to build up all the categorization you need with text and Outline Codes (those if you are using just Project).

If however you are using Project Server, you need to define those custom fields first and populate your Resource Center.

Hope it helps,

René Alvarez

Rene Alvarez

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:14 AM
  • Good Afternoon

I'm using MS Project 2010 (desktop app)

I'd like to select the resources for the tasks like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cmd8h2058x3sgf5/MS_Project.png

It would be too confusing to search every time through 1000 or 3000 resources...

I've read about practices about WBS, that's exactly what I need, but I just can manage to structure the tasks not the resources :(

Is the RBS also available in MS Project or just in MS Project Server? I don't have MS Project Server

The column "Group" doesn't help very much, because I can't see that structure while I'm in the Gantt Chart. Where can I Outline Codes?

Thanks for your answers!

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:18 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Using Project 2010 Standard, you could eventually create a resource custom field choosing the "hierarchical code" (not sure of the translation, I've the french version). In order to make it less tedious, you could import the list from another field if the list already exists.

See below 2 screenshots:

• Proposed as answer by René Alvarez Wednesday, November 20, 2013 3:05 PM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:30 PM
  • Merci Beaucoup Guillaume!

That's the structure I'm looking for! Now I got it like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c0pf56lf7p3dc9a/Sorted%20Resources.jpg

Is it possible to bring a same structure in "Resource Name"? Then all my problems would be solved :)

Thursday, November 21, 2013 8:44 AM
  • Dave,

I've moved your post from the Project Online forum to the Project Standard forum.  To answer your most recent question, no, the Resource Name field cannot be customized with a look up field like a custom field.

The custom field it appears you have created is a Task custom field that will not have any effect on Resource order showing in the Resource list.

The closest I can suggest is to use the Group field on the Resource Sheet (as Rene suggested).  Using the Assign Resources command (Resource tab) you can filter the list of resources using the Group field or using the build in filters for Work and Material Resources.

You could also create some custom filters to filter the list to "Engineers" or "Screws" as needed.

Thursday, November 21, 2013 3:13 PM
  • Thank you everyone!

Is it possible to sort the resources in the resource sheet, like in a work breakdown structure?

Monday, November 25, 2013 9:08 AM
  • No - you may order them by group or by name (alphabetic) be there is no customization of the Resource Name field.
    Monday, November 25, 2013 3:00 PM
  • Dave,

Pardon me for jumping into this discussion but it appears that what you want is not something doable directly without some Project customization (i.e. VBA). Let me offer a customization solution but first I suggest you go to the MVP website at, http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm, and read FAQ 51 - Data types: Task, Resource and Assignment. You also might want to read FAQ 37 - Custom Fields in Views

If you are happy with the custom field approach laid out by Guillaume, then let's start with that. Since that hierarchy will be a custom resource field, a macro can copy that data to a custom task field to display as you have shown in your last dropbox reference. Then you can make a selection from that task custom field and copy it to the Resource Names field to make the assignment.

With a more complex macro the whole process could be incorporated into a userform.

I haven't actually tried either process (don't have time), but I don't see any reason why it won't work.

John

Monday, November 25, 2013 4:31 PM
  • Thanks John!

That didn't work and I can't see the mistake, because I'm not (not jet) good in macros.

I am thinking of a solution where I put the column "Hierarchie (Outline Code)" in the Gantt Chart. Then I use a macro to copy the text from the "Hierarchie" into "Resource Name". I'd do it like this:

Sub copying()
         dim variable1 As string   
         dim variable2 As string

variable1 = Hierarchie(1)                   ' copy the cell Hierarchie first row to variable1
         variable2 = Recource_Name(1)

Recource_Name(1) = variable2 & ", " & variable1
    End Sub

I know that the syntax is wrong, could you show me how to do it right?

I couldn't find a good introduction in VBA for MS Project, does anyone have one?

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 1:46 PM
  • Dave,

I don't have time to work out the details at the moment so I'll have to get back to you later, but I can answer your last question about a good Project VBA reference. Rod Gill has an excellent book on Project VBA. You can find out more about it at: http://www.projectvbabook.com/

John

Wednesday, November 27, 2013 3:26 PM