none
Body of all sent emails is appearing as zero and hyphens to recipient 0-0-0-0

Question

• Emails sent from Outlook 2013 showing only Zeros and hyphens in message body when recipient receives the sent message. The message body appears normal while the sender is typing the message, but when the recipient opens the message only 0-0-0-0-0 is visible in the body. If the sender views the sent message inside the "Sent" folder, the problem is visible and there is nothing in the body except 0-0-0-0-0.

This began after computer shutdown abruptly due to a loss of power overnight. When the computer was powered on in the morning, Check Disk ran for almost 2 hours before Windows was able to start. When user opened outlook, this problem was noticed. Except for this, Microsoft Office seems to be working fine.

Actions taken:

• Ran office repair tool for Outlook from the local administrator account
    • Rebooted
    • Deleted existing email profile and make the user a fresh outlook profile named differently than the original.
    • Replicated the email profile on a different Windows account on the same PC and then sent a test message- problem still persists.
    • Disabled all non essential com addins in Outlook.
    • Uninstalled Outlook 2013 completely
    • Installed Outlook 2016 volume license
    • Rebooted
    • Created a new outlook email profile for the user (problem still persists)
    • Created an outlook email profile for a completely different email account but on the same PC. All messages sent from this account have the same problem.
    • Logged into to OWA and sent a test email. The message arrives normally without the problem. The issue is clearly limited to Outlook on user's hard drive.

ENVIRONMENT:

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit in a Windows 2012 domain environment

Outlook 2013 32-bit volume license

Any suggestions or insight as to the cause/ solution would be appreciated!

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 6:19 PM

All replies

• I'm seeing the same thing.  I did the same as OP, and found something else as well...  When I send email TO that account, it comes in fine.  Replies work fine, no oddities in the email.  Looks as if only mail that originates from the PC that I'm on is odd.  It almost looks encrypted.
    Wednesday, March 29, 2017 10:39 PM
  • I have an update to my op:

Through additional testing I determined that if I change the message format type to "plain text" or "rich text format", newly composed outgoing messages go through clean; without the problem described above. It is only when the message formatting is set to "html" that newly composed outgoing messages are skewed.

Meanwhile, Replies done in html are going through clean, just new "New" html messages.

So what component of Outlook is responsible for html encoding on "New" messages?

Thursday, March 30, 2017 4:17 AM
  • Hi,

Have you tried running Outlook in safe mode to narrow down the issue?

Press Win+R to open Run in Windows, type Outlook /safe, press Enter. Then create new message with html format and send test messages.

If there is no issue in safe mode, go to File > Options > Add-ins, select Manage COM Add-ins, click GO. Uncheck to disable all third-party add-ins, restart Outlook in normal mode, confirm if the issue can be fixed.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017 9:59 AM