WSUS 3.0 SP2 compatibility with WSUS 10.0 RRS feed

• Question

•  Hello ,

Can someone clarify me on below criteria..

We are working on environment where our CAS on wsus 3.0 SP2 and Our primary going to be wsus 10.0 and similarly secondaries under this primaries also going to be wsus 10.0 now our hierarchy look like below.

Note : Due to some other reasons CAS WUS not upgrading time being.

If we continue this then
    CAS WSUS 3.0 SP2 ( Upstream Server ) on 2008 R2 OS.

Primary WSUS 10.0 ( Downstream ) on 2016 OS.

Secondaries WSUS 10.0 ( Downstream to primary ) on 2016 OS.

Do we get WSUS compatibility issue on primary while installation or during Sync with CAS ??

naresh

Monday, May 13, 2019 8:39 AM

Answers

• If we continue this then 

Do we get WSUS compatibility issue on primary while installation or during Sync with CAS ??

As you have asked before, I think you can use WSUS 10.0 as a downstream server for WSUS 3.2, there's no limit that upstream server must have a higher version than the downstream server. However, it is still recommended that you upgrade your CAS WSUS to the newer WSUS 10.0 release.

And I recommend that you do not create a WSUS server hierarchy that is more than three levels deep. Each level adds time to propagate updates throughout the connected servers.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 5:45 AM
  • Hi Nash,

This is exactly what I suggested to you. It is best to use a newer version of WSUS as an upstream server.

But out of curiosity, I simply built a similar environment:
    - Upstream: WSUS 3.2.7600.226 in Windows Server 2008 R2
    - Downstream: WSUS 10.0.17763.1 in Windows Server 2019 Standard Evaluation
    - Client: Windows 10 Version 1809

Through testing, the client pointing to the downstream server reports normally and the report content can be passed to the upstream server. The upstream server approves the update and the client is installed normally.

Of course this may be different from your actual environment and is for reference only.

Regards,
    Yic

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by nash525 Friday, May 17, 2019 4:26 PM
    Thursday, May 16, 2019 3:11 AM

All replies

• If we continue this then 

As you have asked before, I think you can use WSUS 10.0 as a downstream server for WSUS 3.2, there's no limit that upstream server must have a higher version than the downstream server. However, it is still recommended that you upgrade your CAS WSUS to the newer WSUS 10.0 release.

And I recommend that you do not create a WSUS server hierarchy that is more than three levels deep. Each level adds time to propagate updates throughout the connected servers.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 5:45 AM
  •  Hi Yic ,

Thanks for your response.

Yes am confirming this query again because in below MS official blog it mentioned that ( red marked )

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-server-update-services/plan/plan-your-wsus-deployment#wsus-server-hierarchies

Here we are not even at earlier version also because CAS at 3.2 and primary at 10.0

Version in Server 2016:       10.0.14393.447
    wsus version in win 2012 R2 :  6.3.9600.16384

WSUS 3.0 (SP2) with 2008R2        3.2.7600.226            

Want to make sure on this concern before implementing the same on production. Please share your thoughts. Thanks

naresh

• Edited by nash525 Wednesday, May 15, 2019 3:40 PM
    Wednesday, May 15, 2019 3:35 PM
  • Hi Nash,

This is exactly what I suggested to you. It is best to use a newer version of WSUS as an upstream server.

But out of curiosity, I simply built a similar environment:
    - Upstream: WSUS 3.2.7600.226 in Windows Server 2008 R2
    - Downstream: WSUS 10.0.17763.1 in Windows Server 2019 Standard Evaluation
    - Client: Windows 10 Version 1809

Through testing, the client pointing to the downstream server reports normally and the report content can be passed to the upstream server. The upstream server approves the update and the client is installed normally.

Of course this may be different from your actual environment and is for reference only.

Regards,
    Yic

• Marked as answer by nash525 Friday, May 17, 2019 4:26 PM
    Thursday, May 16, 2019 3:11 AM
  •  Hello Yic,

Thanks for your attempt on above scenario.

I also tested this wsus compatibility on my test environment where

Primary WSUS on 3.2.7600.226 in Windows Server 2008 R2 and

secondary site server WSUS 10.0.14393.447 on windows 2016 server OS.

Secondary can able to sync with primary site without any WSUS compatibility issue.

WSUS compatibilityThank you.

Regards,

Nash.

• Edited by nash525 Saturday, August 3, 2019 3:50 PM
    Saturday, August 3, 2019 3:49 PM