none
My EV code signing certificate no longer prevents SmartScreen warning - help needed RRS feed

• Question

• I publish software over the internet and last December I created an 'instant' installer executable, which I signed with an EV certificate from Comodo in order to prevent the SmartScreen warning to my customers.  This worked fine, but has now stopped working.  Does anyone know why this may have happened?  Is it possible that the software's reputation has been affected by something/someone?  Is it possible to see if the software is on a blacklist that may be used by MS SmartScreen?

Further info:

The EV certificate is still in date and I use a timestamp when signing.  The executable is created using IEXPRESS and embeds a setup.exe and msi file - the compiled elements in the msi are signed, the msi and setup.exe files are also signed.  The single install exe is signed.  A version that I published in December now shows the SmartScreen warning - it didn't when first published in December.  I use SHA256 - although I'm not an expert and had to include a switch on the command line for signtool.exe telling it the SHA1 hash value for the certificate - I don't know why it needs this as I specify sha256 in another switch.

Saturday, April 27, 2019 10:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Does the warning start appearing after updating the version of your software?

Run Program Compatibility Troubleshooter to find and fix compatibility between software and Windows: Settings> Update& Security> Troubleshoot> Program compatibility troubleshooter

For further help, I suggest you submit a new case on Windows Developer forum as they will be more professional on your issue:

This is the Windows Developer forum link: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/support

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Yilia 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 29, 2019 6:26 AM
  • Hi,

Is there anything I can do for you?

If you have any problems or concerns, please feel free to post here. 

Best regards,

Yilia

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 3, 2019 2:33 AM