C:\Users...\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I recently deleted a Microsoft World Macro document with a "!" with it (I really don't know what it means). It is in this file: C:\Users...\AppData\Roaming\Microsot\Templates. I read in a website and it said it is not recommanded to delete a AppData Roaming folder. But in my case, it is not a folder, but a document. I wonder it is it safe and if it would affect my comptuter...

Thank you very much.

• Edited by CalLina229 Wednesday, November 11, 2015 2:54 AM It wasn't specific
    Wednesday, November 11, 2015 2:43 AM

Answers

• An exclamation mark ! in the icon of a Word document or template means that it contains / may contain macros.

The C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates folder contains templates that can be used to create new documents from.

One of them is the default template for Word, named Normal.dotm. This template is used when you start Word, and when you press Ctrl+N to create a new document. When you delete Normal.dotm, you will lose all customizations to the standard new document. Apart from that, it doesn't hurt - Word will create a new Normal.dotm if necessary.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar (http://www.eileenslounge.com)

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 4:52 AM
  • The asterisk means that the file contains or has contained macros. This most likely was the normal.dotm template which can hold many customizations in Word. If it is deleted (or given a different name) Word automatically creates a new one without the customizations.

Templates in Microsoft Word

The location you mention is a folder and deleting that folder would cause problems. It is the default storage location for the normal template in most of the latest operating systems.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 4:26 PM

All replies

• An exclamation mark ! in the icon of a Word document or template means that it contains / may contain macros.

The C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates folder contains templates that can be used to create new documents from.

One of them is the default template for Word, named Normal.dotm. This template is used when you start Word, and when you press Ctrl+N to create a new document. When you delete Normal.dotm, you will lose all customizations to the standard new document. Apart from that, it doesn't hurt - Word will create a new Normal.dotm if necessary.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar (http://www.eileenslounge.com)

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 4:52 AM
  • Oh, I see. It reassured me.
    Thanks a lot Hans :)
    Wednesday, November 11, 2015 12:20 PM
  • The asterisk means that the file contains or has contained macros. This most likely was the normal.dotm template which can hold many customizations in Word. If it is deleted (or given a different name) Word automatically creates a new one without the customizations.

Templates in Microsoft Word

The location you mention is a folder and deleting that folder would cause problems. It is the default storage location for the normal template in most of the latest operating systems.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Wednesday, November 11, 2015 4:26 PM