none
configure DPM2010 to use only specific tapes of my library RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

in my configuration I have a DPM 2010 installed on a Win Server 2008 R2. I use a Magnum tapelibrary with 22 data tapes and 1 cleaning tape in it.

DPM inventary found all tapes and they are marked as Tape label "unknown". The point is I don't want DPM to use all of them. I want to limit DPM to use just 5 specific tapes out of that library.

I did not find a way to configure that but it is importat that DPM does not overwrite the other tapes.

Is there a way to configure that?

thank you!

Thursday, November 11, 2010 11:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

DPM cannot use any tape that is unknown, if the tapes in the library were written by another backup application, then you will need to erase the tapes before DPM can use them.  Just erase the tapes you want DPM to use, that will mark them as free.

To speed up the erase see the following:

Short Erase
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634195.aspx

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, November 12, 2010 4:20 PM
  • Hi Klaus,

you cannot tell DPM to not use a set of tapes or to only use a set of tapes.
    The only way to get this permanently resolved I think is to let DPM believe the unwanted set belongs to another DPM server (and library sharing enabled) but that in turn is hard to do without an actual 2nd DPM server.

Otherwise the only solution would be to partition the library (if possible) on the hardware level.

\R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 11:23 AM
  • Hi all,

thank you for your replies!

Ruud, that's what I suspected. Unfortunately there is no other DPM Server and some of the tapes DPM is NOT allowed to use are marked as free already. That happend while testing ;(

So my workaround would be to tell DPM that the tapes that are NOT allowed to use are cleaning tapes. In my opinion, and what you confirmed above indirectly, that is the only way that DPM does not touch them. In know that I cannot clean the drive with DPM when I do that because DPM would try to use data tapes as cleaning tapes. That is not a big problem because my library can clean the drive automatically when required.

The problem with that workaround is that tapes marked as free already cannot be marked as cleaning tape in the gui. Is there any other way to mark "free tapes" as cleaning tapes?

thank you very much!

Klaus

Sunday, November 14, 2010 6:23 PM
  • Hi Klaus,

If slot-0 has a real cleaning catridge that will still work.
    You can set tapes "not free" but I'm not sure if that works for "unknown" tapes.

\R2 This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Sunday, November 14, 2010 11:50 PM
  • Hi Ruud, what I can do with the tapes depending on the state.

Unknown: remove tape (I/E), identify unknown tape, erase tape, mark as cleaning tape (all the other options are disabled)

free:  remove tape (I/E), identify unknown tape, erase tape

cleaning tape: remove tape (I/E), unmark as cleaning

there is no option to mark as "not free" for me. How do I get there?

thank you!

Klaus

Monday, November 15, 2010 1:00 PM