locked
Slow performance while updating a sequence RRS feed

  • Question

  • While trying to work out how App-V works I ran into something a bit odd.  I have a few very very simple apps that I've used for SCCM test distributions for years.  I sequenced the first one using Win 7 x86, no problems.  I then opened the package for update and started the install of another of these apps.  Yes, I know not typical, but should be valid for a learning excercise. The two apps don't interact with each other and barely with anything else. The odd part is that UAC took over 5 minutes to prompt for the are you sure you want to install this.  After which the install completed, but really slow.  Is this because of it being open for update, is this typical?
    Bob
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 3:05 PM

All replies

  • I haven't seen that behaviour before; however as a rule I start scripts and setup programs from a command prompt that I've elevated before the monitoring phase. 

    The sequencing guide, http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/7/8/F784A197-73BE-48FF-83DA-4102C05A6D44/App-46_Sequencing_Guide_Final.docx, recommends closing a Windows Explorer instances before the monitoring phase so that interaction with Explorer is not captured in your sequence.

    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 4:53 PM
    Moderator
  • I've been through that guide several times, it doesn't provide all the information, but it's the best thing I've found so far.  I wasn't using Explorer I was invoking the MSIEXEC from a command problem.  Using Administrator mode on the command prompt didn't make any difference.  
    Bob
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 4:57 PM
  • So when launching MSIEXEC from an elevated Command Prompt, you are still seeing UAC prompts?

    If you sequence the application by using the local Administrator account, UAC will not prompt for elevation as processes silently elevate. That may be worth trying.

    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 5:00 PM
    Moderator
  • I didn't see them, I had assumed that the process had hung.  This install should have happened very quickly.  It wasn't until I decided to ask a question about it that the UAC prompt came up and I let it take as long as it needed, overall it took about 15 minutes for something that should have taken less than 30 seconds. It may be something to do with my virtual machine, but everything else seems to be responsive on the VM.


    Bob
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 5:08 PM