Outlook 2016: "Credential Required" dialog box keep popping up RRS feed

• Question

• After adding outlook exchange server accounts and connecting .pst data files,

The "Credential Required" windows keeps popping up and keeps asking for S/MIME password.

and i have to close the windows one by one.

This situation has last for few weeks, any solution to this problem?

Thank you.

Monday, January 8, 2018 10:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Jason,

How many users encounter these problem, all user, parts of users, or only one particular user?

When do the prompt for credential window pop up?

Would you mind sharing a screenshot here so that we can do further research on it. If you cannot put the screenshot here, you can upload it to Onedrive (https://onedrive.live.com/) and then share the link here. Please remember to remove all your personal information like email address or company information before posting.

You can find some basic steps in the following article. please follow the instructions in the article at appropriate to troubleshoot the issue.

Why does Outlook keep prompting for password

If you need further assistance on this, please feel free to post back.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 8:32 AM
  • Hi Perry,

Only one particular user encounter the problem. 

We have done the migration from windows 7 to windows 10 for this user. After connecting his .pst data file to outlook 2016, the credential window pop up from time by time, no matter if he is using outlook or not.

Even if he ignore the window, more windows will continue to pop up.

Here is the screenshot of the credential window:

https://clfvqg.dm2304.livefilestore.com/y4p4w0EMRd2Za9Op6suOl6kMX6bmJZOv75tnj6QqiI3VKu9Qs4hbvDJitwby6EpCeP-0Wcy6f5S8lPfUowHsrxvYCnxIY8B_cl0zPoAo-Y-Y6xc-O0oAh2B6bESfPFyJJa2eTWrjWMQ3ZS_NK9qct-mRj04XTkpnPQuI1YKmHhiYyESjZwqoQpPyA_dZqHPA0MFKEIERwb8LdbRdQFZdaBIgA/Capture123.PNG?psid=1

Thanks and Best Regards,

Jason

• Edited by Jason Lo 6 Tuesday, January 9, 2018 10:35 AM
    Tuesday, January 9, 2018 10:33 AM
  • Hi Jason,

Thank you for your update.

Have you tried the suggestion in the article above? Is it helpful to you?

Could we know how do you connect the pst file to the Outlook? Via File > Open&Export > Import/Export?

Besides, we can check whether there are conflicting credentials in Windows. To do this, please go to Control Panel > User Accounts > Credential Manager. Under Windows Credentials, find credentials regarding your Outlook account and expand to check the details. Click Remove and then check the result.

What’s more, I cannot check the picture via the link you provided. It shows “cannot found this page”. If you don't mind, you can also send the picture to the GBSD TN Office Information Collection: ibsofc@microsoft.com. Please involve the thread URL in the email message for easy follow-up.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, January 17, 2018 1:36 AM
    Wednesday, January 10, 2018 9:55 AM
  • Hi Perry,

Sorry that i am unfamiliar with oneDrive, here is the link of the picture.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AlghaDXa7mtAaHmMdc5CUJDfykU

I haven't tried the suggestion in the article yet since the user is on leave.I will try those suggestion and try to remove credentials in Credential Manager when he is back.

For connecting .pst file to Outlook, I add it via File > Account Setting > Data File > Add.

I will update you once i have tried the above suggestion. Thank you very much for your support.

Best Regards,

Jason

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 2:35 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Thank you for your information. I've tested in my environment(Outlook 2016 1711 on Win 1709) to add a .pst file via File > Account Setting > Data File > Add. Currently, I cannot reproduce this issue here.

I've researched this issue according to your screenshot. It seems to be related with certificate. Have you tried the suggestion above now? If there are any updates, please feel free to tell me.

Regards,

Perry

• Edited by Perry-Pan Monday, January 15, 2018 1:11 AM
    Monday, January 15, 2018 1:10 AM