none
Controlled folders access W10 list of MS exe's to whitelist? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Is there a list of MS executables/apps I can whitelist to make the W10 CFA (Controlled Folders Access, anti-ransomware) work well with Windows Explorer etc.? (I already whitelisted Explorer.exe through the error notification of CFA)

We want to enable it on a few laptops here but sometimes we cannot move files within file explorer when we do and e.g. cannot save documents with Word (e.g. rmb -> new .docx file on the desktop -> then add some text in Word -> tried to save it but it gets blocked by CFA) even though we added it as an exception through the error notification.

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to suggestions.

• Edited by o___O Thursday, December 5, 2019 12:33 PM
    Thursday, December 5, 2019 12:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know, there is no such list. Most of friendly apps don’t need to be added in whitelist, they will be allowed by default when you enable Controlled folder access. But we can’t get the list of allowable apps.

Try to add the direction of your app in controlled folder access, restart, reinstall app in the trusted direction, check again.

You may refer to the following link for details:

How to Add or Remove Allowed Apps through Controlled Folder Access in Windows 10

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Hope above information can help you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 6, 2019 2:31 AM
  • Thanks Farena for replying. Than there likely is a bug with Controlled Folder Access since it does not play nicely with Windows services itself (especially with FileExplorer / explorer). Is there still perhaps a possibility you could make the MS Windows developers aware of this bug? 

Also thanks for the link, I find another tutorial from tenforums to add an 'allow' shortcut to the context menu of FileExplorer that will make working with CFA a bit more pleasant. (here is the link in case someone is interested -> https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/114379-add-allow-app-through-controlled-folder-access-context-menu-windows-10-a.html )

Friday, December 6, 2019 12:12 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your posting here and sharing the link!

While we were not able to make the requested changes to the product at this time, I will watching closely to this issue, If there is any related update, I will let you know. I want to thank you for your useful suggestion.

Also you could use the Feedback Hub app to share your problem.

Best Regards,

Farena

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 9, 2019 7:40 AM