Hosting Company Changed FTP Server from Windows to Linux: Result Is Trouble RRS feed

• Question

• Here are the command lines:

c:
    cd \trt32\Pubs\P7
    ftp -s:C:\Users\Public\FTPCOMMANDSA.TXT   ftp.washear.org > C:\Users\Public\FTPprintFILE.TXT

Here is the script:

earrichmond
    [redacted]
    binary
    GET 1501.wav
    GET 1502.wav
    GET 1503.wav
    GET 1504.wav
    GET 1505.wav
    QUIT

Here is the result:

Connected to washear.org.
    220---------- Welcome to Pure-FTPd [privsep] [TLS] ----------
    220-You are user number 10 of 500 allowed.
    220-Local time is now 10:05. Server port: 21.
    220-This is a private system - No anonymous login
    220 You will be disconnected after 3 minutes of inactivity.
    User (washear.org:(none)): 
    331 User earrichmond OK. Password required

230 OK. Current restricted directory is /
    ftp> binary
    200 TYPE is now 8-bit binary
    ftp> GET 1501.wav
    200 PORT command successful
    425 Could not open data connection to port 42927: Connection timed out
    ftp> GET 1502.wav
    425 Could not open data connection to port 39184: Connection timed out
    ftp> GET 1503.wav
    425 Could not open data connection to port 49298: Connection timed out
    ftp> GET 1504.wav
    425 Could not open data connection to port 52220: Connection timed out
    ftp> GET 1505.wav
    425 Could not open data connection to port 38875: Connection timed out
    ftp> QUIT
    221-Goodbye. You uploaded 0 and downloaded 0 kbytes.
    221 Logout.

As you can see every GET command times out.

I turned off the firewall as an experiment.  The behavior of FTP was unchanged.  Ended up tossing FTP in the bin and buying WS_FTP for $50.  Works reliably.

MARK D ROCKMAN

Thursday, February 15, 2018 2:04 AM

All replies

• Please refer to this thread to detailed answers on this question:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/30771969/getting-could-not-open-data-connection-to-port-xxxx-when-uploading-file-to-ftp

Please Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 16, 2018 8:34 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.  We've been able to download from the remote server, WatchGuard firewall, for years without trouble until recently (January 23, 2018) when GoDaddy did a massive server consolidation.  They changed the IP address assuming nobody had hard-coded the address in their scripts, so that the change would be transparent to the end user and GoDaddy would not be troubled notifying their customers.  Some time in the 3rd quarter of 2017 we began experiencing severe timeouts attempting to download from the server.  Several attempts at remediation, including contact with the hosting company and the phone company, proved fruitless.  We even tried passive mode with a commercial third-party FTP client without success.   So now we are going to host our own FTP server by configuring Windows Server 2016 and by changing the rules in the firewall/router to perform 1-to-1 Network Address Translation to a currently unused static IP address.  Chance are, with full control over the situation, we will get the process going again.

MARK D ROCKMAN

Friday, February 16, 2018 3:56 PM
  • If there is any further update, please post back.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 19, 2018 5:57 AM
  • My client's clients are blind and depend on this download happening to read a certain newspaper.    So far corporate America has been unable or unwilling to figure out why a download starts and times out midway.  Every single time.  No matter what client.  I'm still working on hosting my own FTP server.  I may even go so far as to host my own email server since my client notifies the some 400 volunteer readers of closure due to bad weather via email.  This is detected by "providers" as spam and returned unopened.  Nobody has satisfactorily answered this question.  I declare the inquiry closed.

MARK D ROCKMAN

Monday, February 19, 2018 5:42 PM