Skype for business server upgrade central management store database RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone!,

I have 6 Lync 2013 FE POOL setup which I am upgrading one by one to SFB 2015 server.
    4 FE pools I have already upgraded to SFB 2015. Now I am planning to upgrade CMS Lync 2013 FE POOL.
    Is it ok to take down whole CMS FE pool services and upgrade it directly?
    Suppose it takes more than 4 hours to complete CMS POOL upgrade. What will be the actual impact on all other running pools in enviroment?
    I am counting those 4 hours when there is no CMS pool available during upgrade process?
    Also what do you think about moving CMS POOL to already upgraded SFB 2015 FE POOL? Will that impact other 2 remaning Lync 2013 FE pools?
    What should be the safest way to deal with it?

thanks in advance
    Regards // Ajit

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 11:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Ajit,

Its recommended to upgrade the CMS pool last which look like your doing. Whilst the CMS pool is down the other servers wont be able to replicate changes to the CMS and your wouldnt be able to download the topology during this time. The server will continue to run but CMS replication to all other SfB servers would be unavailable.

I wouldn't recommend moving the CMS to another SfB pool as the CMS database would not be upgraded to SfB so this could cause issues.

I would upgrade the CMS pool last and ensure you have backup of the CMS and all your databases just in case.

I assume you have seen the Inplace technet planning guide but its below

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/dn951396.aspx#BKMK_PlanUpgradeFromLync2013

Also when upgrading the CMS pool its worth checking what the Front end pool is next hop for to ensure functionality such as federation wouldn't be impacted.

Thanks,

Martin

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". Thank you. This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.

• Edited by Martin Boam Tuesday, November 29, 2016 11:42 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Wednesday, November 30, 2016 8:17 AM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2016 11:41 AM
  • thanks Martin!

I am bit confused with different kind of information published at several locations. for example check out this

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/dab69e9a-1ae3-4e77-b8ff-60f3969b7c93/lync-planning-for-sql-shutdown?forum=sfbfr

According to Mark Vale (MCC, Partner, MVP) """"All Lync users will go in limited functionality mode when Lync CMS database remains down for more than 20 minutes in any case""""

So even when I take my case I am certain that it is going to take more than 4 hours to me before I complete CMS FE POOL upgrade activity.

So what should be the ideal and safe practice here?

regards,

Ajit

• Edited by Ajit Jaiswal Tuesday, November 29, 2016 12:22 PM
    Tuesday, November 29, 2016 12:21 PM
  • Hi Ajit,

Yeah ive seen this as well, i always plan the CMS inplace upgrade pool out of hours to be safe as the CMS plays an important role. Always take backups as well. Are you planning on moving users to another pool during upgrades or taking the pool and users offline ?

Ill have a test in my lab and have the CMS pool down for a while and let you know the results to a test user.

Thanks,

Martin

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". Thank you. This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not reflect the opinion or view of my employer.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 2:16 PM
  • Hi Ajit,

Ive had CMS down for almost an hour and users on my other pool are still in full functionality mode. Ill leave it overnight and let you know.

I still recommend during the upgrade out of hours to lower the risk.

Thanks,

Martin

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 5:51 PM
  • thanks Martin,

I just got a glimpse from Mark Vale's answer on previous tech net article.

I believe there he is referring to a CMS POOL where users also exists. so when we take down CMS POOL database completely for more than 20 minutes, it will force all users homed on CMS pool to work in limited functionality mode. which is logically a very correct statement.

So it looks like ideally it wont impact users homed on other FE POOLs.

anyway its always best to test such things on a lab environment before touching production stuff.

regards // Ajit

Tuesday, November 29, 2016 6:14 PM
  • Hi Ajit,

That totally makes sense and as you say totally correct if the users are hosted on the CMS pool as well when it goes down they will go into limited functionality mode after around 20 - 30 minutes. The Front end pool can lose connection to the back end server for around 30 minutes before users on that pool go into limited functionality mode.

With a CMS pool with no users i dont believe it would affect the other users but it would affects config changes during this time.

From leaving the CMS pool down with no users on overnight the users on the other pool in my lab are still in full functionality mode so having the CMS pool down with no users hasnt triggered them into limited functionality mode.

Hope this helps

Martin

• Proposed as answer by Alice-Wang Monday, December 5, 2016 8:50 AM
    Wednesday, November 30, 2016 9:59 AM