none
SCOM 2016 - Patch reboot completed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I need some advice on the below requirements please. I have SCOM 2016/SCCM CB 1810 servers

* Need a alert or email triggered if the server or workstation patching is completed and no reboot is pending. Overall i need to inform admins that no reboot pending on the machines.

Please suggest

Regards, Pratap

Monday, December 2, 2019 8:44 AM

All replies

• Hello Pratap,

You can have a look at the Pending Reboot management pack:

Server Pending Restart Monitoring - New SCOM Management Pack
    https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Server-Pending-Restart-New-2457a729

The management pack provides alerting when certain conditions on the monitored server are detected and requires the server to be restarted.

Or you can create a monitor based on a PowerShell script as described in the following thread:
    SCOM monitoring for pending restart state related to Windows Updates

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Edited by Leon Laude Monday, December 2, 2019 9:02 AM
    Monday, December 2, 2019 8:59 AM
  • Thanks Leon I saw this blog What I am looking for is, an alert or mail triggered from SCOM stating restart is completed and there is no pending required on the server
    • Edited by Sanak pratap Monday, December 2, 2019 11:18 AM M
    Monday, December 2, 2019 11:17 AM
  • Did you check the PowerShell script method in the other thread I mentioned?

There they create a two state monitor based on a PowerShell script that checks if pending reboot equals true/false.

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Monday, December 2, 2019 11:36 AM
  • Hi,

It seems this is not achievable even if we created a monitor based on the script. Commonly, configurations manager uses SUG (software update group, which may contain one or more updates) and deploy to client computers. Assume we are using script-based monitor, how can we define which updates are installed completely? This varies among SUG.

If we know which specific update is, for example, KBxxxx, we can write a script to query if it is installed and the pending restart = false to form a monitor.

Hope the above information helps.

Regards,

Alex Zhu
    -----------------------------------------------
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, December 3, 2019 8:23 AM
  • Hi Pratap,

It seems there is no update for a couple of days. May we know the current status of the problem? Is there any other assistance we can provide?

Regards,

Alex Zhu
    -----------------------------------------------
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 7:22 AM