none
SCOM 2016 - Patch reboot completed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I need some advice on the below requirements please. I have SCOM 2016/SCCM CB 1810 servers

* Need a alert or email triggered if the server or workstation patching is completed and no reboot is pending. Overall i need to inform admins that no reboot pending on the machines.

Please suggest

Regards, Pratap

Monday, December 2, 2019 8:44 AM

All replies

• Hello Pratap,

You can have a look at the Pending Reboot management pack:

Server Pending Restart Monitoring - New SCOM Management Pack
    https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Server-Pending-Restart-New-2457a729

The management pack provides alerting when certain conditions on the monitored server are detected and requires the server to be restarted.

Or you can create a monitor based on a PowerShell script as described in the following thread:
    SCOM monitoring for pending restart state related to Windows Updates

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

• Edited by Leon Laude Monday, December 2, 2019 9:02 AM
    Monday, December 2, 2019 8:59 AM
  • Thanks Leon I saw this blog What I am looking for is, an alert or mail triggered from SCOM stating restart is completed and there is no pending required on the server
    • Edited by Sanak pratap Monday, December 2, 2019 11:18 AM M
    Monday, December 2, 2019 11:17 AM
  • Did you check the PowerShell script method in the other thread I mentioned?

There they create a two state monitor based on a PowerShell script that checks if pending reboot equals true/false.

Monday, December 2, 2019 11:36 AM
  • Hi,

It seems this is not achievable even if we created a monitor based on the script. Commonly, configurations manager uses SUG (software update group, which may contain one or more updates) and deploy to client computers. Assume we are using script-based monitor, how can we define which updates are installed completely? This varies among SUG.

If we know which specific update is, for example, KBxxxx, we can write a script to query if it is installed and the pending restart = false to form a monitor.

Hope the above information helps.

Regards,

Alex Zhu
    -----------------------------------------------
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, December 3, 2019 8:23 AM
  • Hi Pratap,

It seems there is no update for a couple of days. May we know the current status of the problem? Is there any other assistance we can provide?

Regards,

Alex Zhu
    -----------------------------------------------
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 7:22 AM
  • Sorry for the delay

Yes Alex your right. Restart script is not consistent since SUG has multiple updates to install and restart.

I tried Leon script which work for a machine which need manual reboot (In SCCM - Suppress reboot) and after alert is resolved admin will receive an email.

But for schedule reboot, example - Patch deadline if i set as 2 PM, the patch will get installed and immediately reboots at the deadline. In this case the restart alert is not triggering in SCOM since the machine has already initiated the reboot.

I dont see any logic is working

Regards, Pratap

Tuesday, January 14, 2020 5:54 AM
  • There are multiple registry entries that may need to be checked if the server requires a reboot, but it may be that SCOM may not have time to trigger an alert if the servers/clients reboot automatically.

Your original question:

* Need a alert or email triggered if the server or workstation patching is completed and no reboot is pending. Overall i need to inform admins that no reboot pending on the machines.

>> This should still work.

Tuesday, January 14, 2020 9:22 AM
  • Would also go for the pending reboot packs (there are some variations). It would mean you are showing green if its not needed and yellow if it is needed. You can email on the pending reboot scenario.
    Dont think it would be good to alert on the no reboot needed check. As long as you can tell your people that you have an alert in case a reboot isnt working. Otherwise they can assume no reboot is waiting.
    Otherwise really give them a dashboard (SCOM/SCOMWeb/Third-party dashboarding tools) that shows them something is green or yellow/red, which is how you can inform them of the this-is-good-scenario..

Otherwise you might also get a load of them. for instance the antivirus definitions for example which go daily (sometimes more often) and do not require reboots.

Bob Cornelissen - BICTT ( My Blog about SCOM ) - MVP 2012 until today and Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 and 2012 Recipient (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable)

Tuesday, January 14, 2020 11:24 AM