Need advice on my BSOD error on Server 2008 standard 32 bit RRS feed

• Question

• I support 50+ servers that are all configured the same.  As of Jan 2014 I started to get about one or two BSOD errors a week.  There have been a few weeks where I do not get any.  I have the servers set to record a MEMORY.DMP file but the particular BSOD does not generate a MEMORY.DMP file.  The BSODs happen at different times of the day.  The event logs do not show any unusual errors.  I had no software or windows updates that happened in Jan 2014.  Dell Open Manage does not show any errors.  I have run Diagnostics against these servers and the diagnostics show no errors.  Has anyone else had this issue? 

My BSOD is listed below:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

If this is the first time you've seen this error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xEC345048, 0x00000000, 0xE1FC92BF, 0x00000000)

Thanks,

--Brian

• Edited by TronMon Tuesday, March 11, 2014 2:25 PM
    Tuesday, March 11, 2014 2:15 PM

Answers

• Did you try setting the memory dump to a small as opposed to full memory dump ?

That may allow you to find the .dmp file as it is significantly smaller.

Another possibility is the drive supporting the pagefile. Have you tried moving it?

Also, memory failure (RAM) may be the root cause because it seems as if it doesn't get a chance to write the .dmp file.

Is this a physical or virtual server ?

If it is physical, check the BIOS event logs, if they are available

See if there is a BIOS update to the server.

JM

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, March 25, 2014 5:14 PM
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 5:28 PM

All replies

• Did you try setting the memory dump to a small as opposed to full memory dump ?

That may allow you to find the .dmp file as it is significantly smaller.

Another possibility is the drive supporting the pagefile. Have you tried moving it?

Also, memory failure (RAM) may be the root cause because it seems as if it doesn't get a chance to write the .dmp file.

Is this a physical or virtual server ?

If it is physical, check the BIOS event logs, if they are available

See if there is a BIOS update to the server.

JM

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, March 25, 2014 5:14 PM
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 5:28 PM
  • Thanks for the advice.

I have changed the system failure file to a minidump file.  I will see if that catches the BSOD dump in the future.

The RAM and the Drives pass all diagnostic tests I have run.

It is a physical server.  I will check the BIOS event logs. 

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 5:47 PM
  • I finally got a minidump file off one of these servers.  I ran the application BlueScreenView to analyze the minidump file.  This is the info I am getting from it:

Bug Check String: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, Bug Check Code: 0x10000050, Parameter 1:0xf8a3a5f0, Parameter 2:0x0000000, Parameter 3: 0xe21c8782, Parameter 4: 0x00000000, Caused By Driver ntoskrnl.exe, File Description: NT Kernal & System, Product Name: Microsoft Windows Operating System, Company: Microsoft Corporation, File Version: 6.1.7601.18247 (win7sp1_gdr.130828-1532), Processor: 32-bit, Crash Address: ntoskrnl.exe+17c258, Stack Address 1: ntoskrnl.exe+17c258, Stack Address 2: ntoskrnl.exe+18281a, Stack Address 3:ntoskrnl.exe+182e48, Processor Count: 16, Major Version: 15, Minor Version 6002

Monday, April 14, 2014 1:41 PM
  • I have not used anything but the MS Windows Debugger. With that .dmp file and some work, as the debugger takes some effort to get all the pieces working, you will be able to find the offending app.

I used the "Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.12.0002.633"

JM

Monday, April 14, 2014 2:22 PM
  • I was able to get all the Firmware updated for these servers but I still have the issue. 
    Thursday, June 12, 2014 1:18 PM