none
Sysprep process strips away network driver, doesn't finish RRS feed

• Question

• Afternoon all,

It's a balmy 92 degrees here in Berkeley, and I'm about at my wits end.  I am having a problem with my image being captured via MDTs LTI scripts.  I already went through the update errors and made sure they were done, then captured a checkpoint for my VM to make sure I don't lose any data while I image.  Once the checkpoint was complete, I ran the scripts to start the capture task, but it gets to the sysprep task and errors out saying the network can't be reached.

I found a few other people have been running into this problem, but no resolution from what I can see.  Does anyone know how to get past this error?  Please let me know and your help, as always, is appreciated!

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, June 10, 2019 10:20 PM

Answers

• If sysprep is failing because of non-provisioned apps, MS has an app remover which you can download and run on your VM before Capture/Sysprep.  Run the remover, take a checkpoint, then sysprep/capture.
    • Marked as answer by Obujuwami Monday, June 17, 2019 10:11 PM
    Monday, June 17, 2019 7:43 PM
  • If sysprep is failing because of non-provisioned apps, MS has an app remover which you can download and run on your VM before Capture/Sysprep.  Run the remover, take a checkpoint, then sysprep/capture.

Thanks for the tip Rick.  I did find a kind of solution to this in a Microsoft white paper.  I always thought those problems affected other people...then they affected me. :(

Anyways, I checked out this link which got me thinking in the right direction.  I then let sysprep fail again and went into the syspreperr.log in c:\windows\system32\sysprep\panther.  Low and behind, the module that's erroring out is right at the top of the log!  To fix it, I simply opened PowerShell ISE as an admin and ran:

Remove-AppxPackage -Package <packagefullname>

For me, it was the photos package that was causing an error.  I was able to get through sysprep and starting capturing the image just fine.  I'm about 50% of the way done, so I'm fairly confident that it's resolved.

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this!  I hope it helps others in the future.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, June 17, 2019 10:11 PM

All replies

• From what I recall, I thought there was a selection in the unattend to "persist all drivers". That was the solution for me when I encountered that issue, but I don't see that option in unattend anymore.

If you have an older version, then you can look through the unattend for that option and set it to true, then test it out again.

Wednesday, June 12, 2019 1:35 PM
  • I don't see it there, which makes me think it's not available in my version of MDT.  Any other ideas?

Thursday, June 13, 2019 5:33 PM
  • Are you adding WinPE drivers into MDT? They are needed to get the VM across the network.

Check and see if you've added WinPE drivers for your architecture/Models.

Thursday, June 13, 2019 5:46 PM
  • They are there, I captured this image a few times before.  This is the refined version.

Thursday, June 13, 2019 7:49 PM
  • Each time you modify WinPE drivers, you have to update your deployment share and replace your boot file in WDS. If you install a new ADK, add WinPE drivers or make changes to your bootstrap file you have to update your DS and replace your boot file in WDS.

Do you mean refined version of WinPE, or ADK or what is refined?

Thursday, June 13, 2019 8:22 PM
  • I understand that, but I mean I have captured this VM multiple times in the last 14 days until I ran into the problem of the network driver being stripped away on error.  I didn't updated MDT, ADK, or the boot image in WDS.

I refined the image itself by setting up lots of different UI things for the students to use.  It's really inclusive and I just figured out how to script a lot of the work so I don't have to do as much...so rebuilding this would be quite annoying.

Thursday, June 13, 2019 8:48 PM
  • You never mentioned your OS/version.

See if this helps:
    Go to the OS Info tab on your Task and edit the unattend.

In the Components section on the left, look for amd64_Microsoft-Windows-PnpSysprep_....
    Right-click and Add setting to Pass 3 Generalize. Then on the right, change PersistAllDeviceInstalls to True.
    Give that a go and see if it retains your NW drivers.

Friday, June 14, 2019 5:26 PM
  • Good news, I got a NEW RESULT!  It still failed, but I got logs and error messages this time!!!  Here is the log.

Here is the error:

I have a feeling that I hit sysprep limit...which would be REALLY annoying as my co-worker said he kept reverting the VM to before the LTI script ran.  I know how to fix it, but I still need confirmation if that's the error.

Thanks!

Friday, June 14, 2019 7:07 PM
  • Just checked my CS.ini area, they are set to Netlib=DBNMPNTW and my co-worker has deployed an older image to a couple of machines in the last few days.  They have been populating both the name and auto-joining to the domain, so the db connection settings are correct.  The initial setup screen also would take upwards of 20 minutes to go through if the db settings were wrong as well.   (long story)

Anything else?

Friday, June 14, 2019 8:35 PM
  • How to Sysprep a Windows Image More Than Three Times The easy way to get around the three time limit of sysprepping is to either a) use a virtual machine and save a snapshot before the first time you sysprep, or b) capture an image through the console of the state before sysprepping, and then deploy it when it to the same class machine when it needs updated. If you accidentally reached the three rearm limit without having to start over from scratch, here is a step by step how to get around it. 1) Open up Registry Editor. (Start > Run > regedit) 2) Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Setup\Status\Sysprep Status. 3) Change the value of CleanupState to 2. (0x00000002) 4) Change the value of GeneralizationState to 7. (0x00000007) 5) Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtecti onPlatform. 6) Change the value of SkipRearm to 1. (0x00000001) 7) Open an administrative command prompt. (Start > Run > cmd... right click on the cmd icon and go to Run as Administrator) 8) Type msdtc -uninstall and push enter. Wait a minute and reboot. 9) Type msdtc -install and push enter. Wait a minute and reboot. 10) Browse to c:\windows\system32\sysprep. Delete the panther folder. 11) Execute CAPTURE task sequence Note: This will have to be done every time you capture the image, but it still is less time consuming than starting over from scratch.
    Monday, June 17, 2019 1:05 PM
  • Note: This will have to be done every time you capture the image, but it still is less time consuming than starting over from scratch.
    Seems scriptable, I will give it a shot and see if it works.  I'm waiting that first minute for the msdtc -uninstall, so I'm on my way to testing it.

Monday, June 17, 2019 6:23 PM
  • I don't think this is it as some of the reg keys aren't there.  I wondering if it has more to do with this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2769827/sysprep-fails-after-you-remove-or-update-windows-store-apps-that-inclu

It says I have to delete a TON of installed items...which seems annoying.  I can do it, but I'm gonna want to script it so I don't have to do it more than once.  If it works, I will post what happens.

Monday, June 17, 2019 6:30 PM
    Monday, June 17, 2019 7:43 PM

Thanks for the tip Rick.  I did find a kind of solution to this in a Microsoft white paper.  I always thought those problems affected other people...then they affected me. :(

Anyways, I checked out this link which got me thinking in the right direction.  I then let sysprep fail again and went into the syspreperr.log in c:\windows\system32\sysprep\panther.  Low and behind, the module that's erroring out is right at the top of the log!  To fix it, I simply opened PowerShell ISE as an admin and ran:

Remove-AppxPackage -Package <packagefullname>

For me, it was the photos package that was causing an error.  I was able to get through sysprep and starting capturing the image just fine.  I'm about 50% of the way done, so I'm fairly confident that it's resolved.

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this!  I hope it helps others in the future.

Monday, June 17, 2019 10:11 PM