No network when more than 1 processor for SLES 11 SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• I have an SLES 11 SP1 Linux guest running on Hyper-V (Windows Server 2008 R2 - latest patches) and when I allocate extra processors the NIC no longer connects. The NIC allocated is the legacy NIC as the guest refuses to see the integration component NIC. Suse, and other sources, indicate that the drivers are built into SP1 for hyper-v. I have attempted to install the V2.1 Linux integration components without luck.

ANy suggestions?

Imre

• Moved by BrianEhMVP Wednesday, August 8, 2012 2:53 PM (From:Hyper-V)
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 6:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What’s the exact symptom of the issue “NIC no longer connects”?

By the way, the latest version of Linux Integration Services for Hyper-V is 3.3, you can get it from the following link.

Linux Integration Services Version v3.3 for Hyper-V
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29991

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 10:00 AM
  • The NIC is recognised by the guest OS but it does not have any connectivity. For example, whilst pinging the guest will repond for about 30 seconds, during the boot, then nothing.

As for the "Linux Integration Services Version v3.3 for Hyper-V", been there. Unfortunately it is only supported on Red Hat & CentOS, not SLES.

Imre

Wednesday, August 8, 2012 9:29 PM
  • Hi,

I did some quite bad experiences with SLES 11 SP1 under Hyper-V. That is the reason, why we moved to CentOS. But Ubuntu under Hyper-V worked very fine too, with a important difference, that CentOS can run Integration Services for Linux (we are using 3.3).

I suppose that the Hyper-V drivers cause the trouble. Are you having other Linux systems in your Hyper-V enrironment? If yes, do they have the same issue? If no, can you install a new guest under CentOS or Ubuntu?

Are you having a failover cluster or a standalone Hyper-V server?

Regards,

Hermann Maurer

Thursday, August 9, 2012 12:09 PM
  • Thanks for the response.
    Unfortunately, it is the only linux box and it is more like an appliamce to provide a particular service.
    If we can't resolve this, I guess, the only solutions could be:
    1. dedicates HW
    2. load on VMWare

Imre

Thursday, August 9, 2012 9:11 PM