WSUS No Longer Downloading Updates RRS feed

• Question

• I deployed WSUS on Windows Server 2012 R2 since April last year and everything has been working well since then until some weeks ago when I noticed that approved updates were no longer being downloaded. The update files had accumulated to several gigabytes but the download status remained at approximately 34 MB for days.

I checked everything and no event log errors, Windows update works fine; Synchronization works fine as well on the WSUS server. I  have uninstalled and installed again twice. Removed the Windows Internal Database folder and content, changed the download location, etc and yet its not working.

Now, based on my lean approvals, I have just 42 files to download which just a over 300 MB in total, yet download status remains 0.00 MB.

Any suggestions please.

BPK

• Edited by MercyBrew Wednesday, May 27, 2015 11:42 AM snapshot added
    Wednesday, May 27, 2015 11:38 AM

All replies

• Is there any error messages in the event viewer?

Also check your firewall which might be blocking the downloads.

Thanks,

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 12:01 PM
  • Thanks Arijit_Dey, but its not that as well. I disabled the firewall completely and it still did not work, even after a restart of WSUS

BPK

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 12:49 PM
  • Am 27.05.2015 schrieb MercyBrew:

Thanks Arijit_Dey, but its not that as well. I disabled the firewall completely and it still did not work, even after a restart of WSUS

Have a look in %programfiles%\Update
    Services\??\SoftwareDistribution.log. An look in your Hardwarefirewall
    or in your Gateway to the Internet.

Did you click Syncronize now? After Synchronize is not successfull,
    you must find some entrys in Eventvwr.msc.

Servus
    Winfried

Gruppenrichtlinien
    HowTos zum WSUS Package Publisher
    WSUS Package Publisher
    HowTos zum Local Update Publisher
    NNTP-Bridge für MS-Foren

Wednesday, May 27, 2015 4:22 PM
  • Am 27.05.2015 schrieb MercyBrew:

Thanks Arijit_Dey, but its not that as well. I disabled the firewall completely and it still did not work, even after a restart of WSUS

Have a look in %programfiles%\Update
    Services\??\SoftwareDistribution.log. An look in your Hardwarefirewall
    or in your Gateway to the Internet.

Did you click Syncronize now? After Synchronize is not successfull,
    you must find some entrys in Eventvwr.msc.

Servus
    Winfried

Gruppenrichtlinien
    HowTos zum WSUS Package Publisher
    WSUS Package Publisher
    HowTos zum Local Update Publisher
    NNTP-Bridge für MS-Foren

Hi Winfried

No error in the SoftwareDistribution log

Synchronization has no issue and is always succeeding

We have not made any changes to our firewall or internet router in recent time.

My only suspicion now is may be our ISP made changes in  the network tha impacts on the server's funcgtionality

BPK

Thursday, May 28, 2015 8:02 AM
  • Is there any error logged in the event viewer?
    Thursday, May 28, 2015 6:11 PM
  • Hi,

If WSUS failed to download the update, event 364 should be logged in the event viewer.

Please try to find these events. They will tell us the reason why download was failed.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 9:09 AM
  • Hi,

This is kinda long shot, but have checked that your download share has enough free space left?

Best Regards,

Veikko Rasila

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 9:37 AM
  • Hi,

If WSUS failed to download the update, event 364 should be logged in the event viewer.

Please try to find these events. They will tell us the reason why download was failed.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

No such error logged Steven, Evidently it is not an issue of failure while downloading but rather stopped downloading.

BPK

Thursday, June 18, 2015 9:15 PM
  • Hi,

This is kinda long shot, but have checked that your download share has enough free space left?

Best Regards,

Veikko Rasila

The drive has more than enough free space VeikkoRa. It is in fact a full TeraByte.

BPK

Thursday, June 18, 2015 9:17 PM
  • Did you sort this? If so, let us know how. Thanks
    Saturday, July 4, 2015 5:34 PM
  • Did you sort this? If so, let us know how. Thanks

I'm happy to inform you that the issue is resolved. Sorry to admit that I had nothing to do with it.  Just abandoned it for weeks and then noticed about a week ago that it had started downloading again.

The only thing I changed was giving it a dedicated public address on our NAT/Firewall through which it gets to the Internet. After I did this I restarted it and monitored it for a while with no improvement and gave up. A week later I just notice that the download status had changed significantly and every time I refreshed the status showed progress.

If you ask me, I think the problem found away to just resolve itself

BPK

Sunday, July 5, 2015 7:01 PM