Shortcut to turn off display..!!!! RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

i am using Hp Notebook and i want to add a shortcut on my desktop for turning off my display as soon as I click. I dont wanna use any third party software. Can anyone please Help???

Thanks 

Monday, March 24, 2014 6:03 PM

Answers

• So this is kind of the hard way by not wanting to use 3rd party tools which kills HP and Dell (or whomever is the manufacturer of your monitor/laptop) as well as Nirsoft which is the go to for a lot of this.  I would suggest rethinking the "no 3rd party" option as even Nirsoft is no install, its just an EXE that you can call in your shortcut.  But here is a solution that is not pretty given the requirements handed over so use with a grain of salt.

Create 2 batch files.  One will title "Monitor OFF" and the other "Monitor ON".  Inside the file "Monitor OFF" paste the following code :

powercfg.exe /setacvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_VIDEO VIDEOIDLE 1
    powercfg.exe /setactive SCHEME_CURRENT

And now on the file "Monitor ON" paste the following code:

powercfg.exe /setacvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_VIDEO VIDEOIDLE 1200

So you might need to adjust these scripts for your enviroment but what it does is set your power plans monitor timeout to be 1 second of inactivity (in the "Monitor OFF" script).  The "Monitor ON" script will change the monitor timeout to 20 minutes (in seconds), this figure you'll have to adjust.  Obviously once you move your mouse or your keyboard it resets the timer and your monitor will power back on as it can't physically power it down, just black it out.  This will work given the guidelines you provided.  Please respond if you have any questions.  Thanks.

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:28 AM
    Monday, March 24, 2014 8:01 PM

All replies

• Read your HP owner's manual.  You use a Function key combination to turn off the display.  Or, if it's like Dell, there is a HP utility that allows you to turn off the display by clicking on the utility.

Otherwise go to the HP support forums and seek an answer there.  HP provides support for their products and they have user support forums for this type of question.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Monday, March 24, 2014 7:39 PM
  • So this is kind of the hard way by not wanting to use 3rd party tools which kills HP and Dell (or whomever is the manufacturer of your monitor/laptop) as well as Nirsoft which is the go to for a lot of this.  I would suggest rethinking the "no 3rd party" option as even Nirsoft is no install, its just an EXE that you can call in your shortcut.  But here is a solution that is not pretty given the requirements handed over so use with a grain of salt.

Create 2 batch files.  One will title "Monitor OFF" and the other "Monitor ON".  Inside the file "Monitor OFF" paste the following code :

powercfg.exe /setacvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_VIDEO VIDEOIDLE 1

And now on the file "Monitor ON" paste the following code:

powercfg.exe /setacvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_VIDEO VIDEOIDLE 1200

So you might need to adjust these scripts for your enviroment but what it does is set your power plans monitor timeout to be 1 second of inactivity (in the "Monitor OFF" script).  The "Monitor ON" script will change the monitor timeout to 20 minutes (in seconds), this figure you'll have to adjust.  Obviously once you move your mouse or your keyboard it resets the timer and your monitor will power back on as it can't physically power it down, just black it out.  This will work given the guidelines you provided.  Please respond if you have any questions.  Thanks.

Be kind and Mark as Answer if I helped.

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, April 8, 2014 1:28 AM
    Monday, March 24, 2014 8:01 PM