none
Can Someone point me to the documentation covering resource management in Project Server? RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone point me to the documentation covering resource management in Project Server?

I'd like to know how to prepare for managing the time aspects of assigned resources, availability and the like

©®

Charles Roberts

Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:44 PM

All replies

• Charles

You can check these links

The Project Manager's Guide for PWA      http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh703264.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh767486(v=office.14).aspx

Thanks

DiptiK

Friday, March 22, 2013 4:32 AM
  • Hi Charles!

I'm not sure if any of these will help, but look through this list of articles. Hope something there helps! If not, I'd love to hear more about what information you're looking for. Always looking for customer input on what topics we should be writing. :)

Thanks!
    Sonia

Monday, March 25, 2013 3:43 PM
  • Hi Sonia!

What I am particularly looking for is the best way to control our department's human resources through adding them to projects.  I was hoping to have a system where their total available hours were noted and tracked, and decremented for each project task they were assigned to, then adding the hours back if they were over estimated, or decrementing more if underestimated.  This way we could learn from estimating and get more accurate with time and practice, while ensuring we don't over allocate our resources. 

As the Resource Manager, I have to work with the other Project Managers to assure that the Functional Managers allow their resources to participate in projects as required, we have an expectation of approximately 1750 hours yearly being available for project work of the 2080 worked, this varies according to some resources being allocated to operations tasks and having less hours available for new project work.  So I would like to see who is available fro project work, assign them, which would make them less available for other project work, and then keep track of how many hours they actually expended, if they finish quicker than expected, add their time back for other projects, etc...

©®

Charles Roberts

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 4:29 PM
  • Hi Charles,

Your desired working practice is what many organisations perform.  In order to achieve it you will need to understand the following fields....

Max Units, assignment units.  Project and resource calendars.  These items define when an organisations working time,and by implication, a resources max working time.  The max units then defines their availability within their capacity (eg 80% of hours).

Also, you will need to assign resources at a reasonable level of detail (what's reasonable?)  - I would look at a broad brush approach initially, fine tuning as you learn and move forward.

Each PM will need to be on top of their game in terms of updating tasks accordingly, and modifying remaining work so that it reflects accurately what is planned to happen.

HTH,  Ben.

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 9:55 AM
  • I have an excel sheet with 270 Resources from our HR Rep, do I just add them one at a time to the SETTINGS|RESOURCE TYPE|RESOURCE TYPE MANAGEMENT Section?  Or is there a utility that can mass import them?

Are there any instructions regarding this?

Thanks

©®

Charles Roberts

Tuesday, April 2, 2013 9:30 PM
  • Hi Chas,

Go to the resource center, and click on the Project icon. This opens up the Enterprise Resource Pool in Project, and the Project View will be the Resource Sheet.  Note the columns in the sheet, and add/hide/rearrange the columns so that they match those in your Excel workbook.  Whent this is complete, copy and paste everything from Excel to Project.  Note that you will need a valid NT account for each resource before it can be saved into the Enterprise Resource Pool.

Other "mass import" features would include synchronising the ERP with an AD account.

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 4:29 AM