wbadmin error: The requested operation could not be completed due to a file system limitation. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a very frustrating Windows backup problem when backing up to a local share on Windows Server 2008 R2 using wbadmin.exe.

I get the following error:

The backup operation to \\server\b$\daily\a\ is starting.
    Creating a shadow copy of the volumes specified for backup...
    Creating a shadow copy of the volumes specified for backup...
    The backup of volume System(C:) could not be completed.  Error: The requested operation could not be completed due to a file system limitation
    The backup operation stopped before completing.

In the event log, I get the following:

VDS Basic Provider: Unexpected failure.  Error code: 490@01010004

and

Backup: The backup operation that started at '?2010?-?05?-?17T20:54:42.085886000Z' has failed with following error code '2155348041' (None of the source volumes were backed up.).  Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

Other then the above messages, no other log error information is created or reported.  I checked the VSS writers and none of them have indicated any errors.  The target drive is NTFS and is not compressed.

I did a lot of testing and found out the following:

1) This is not an isolated issue; we have multiple machines all with the same hardware and software producing the same errors with the single exception that the Domain Controller does not suffer from this problem.

2) It only happens with local shares which is a local volume referenced through an UNC path.  In our case, we have a dedicated locally attached volume (B:) used for backups, which we then copy over our WAN for offsite storage.  Because wbadmin.exe does not allow specifying directories with a volume or drive letter, we are forced to use UNC notation.  In our example, we use \\servername\b$\daily\a\ or \\servername\backup\daily\a\, where "backup" is shared directory. 

3) It works correctly if we specified the driver or volume name directly (which we cannot use as a permanent solution), or amazingly, if we use the same UNC path but from a different machine, even if the alternate machine has the same backup problem!  Again, the error only happens when we specify a UNC to a local volume.  So, in our example, if we have two machines both getting the same errors backing up to their local share, we can get everything to work by having each server backup to each other's share!

4) Even though the backup fails, it creates files in WindowsImageBackup, which can be mounted as if the backup succeed.  I have not verified the contents of the VHD, just that whatever was created is mountable.

5) If I leave the files created in WindowsImageBackup from the last failed backup and try again.  The error message changes to the follow:

Backup: The backup operation that started at '?2010?-?05?-?17T21:36:48.965886000Z' has failed with following error code '2155348301' (There was a failure in updating the backup for deleted items.).  Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Since I can get the backups to work from the network share, but just not from the local machines that created the share, it seems that the message "The requested operation could not be completed due to a file system limitation" is bogus and that there is some software bug somewhere that needs fixing.

Thanks much,
    James C. Papp

Monday, May 17, 2010 9:57 PM

Answers

• James-

if backup is done to a drive say x:

backup will be placed in a directory x:\windowsimagebackup - backup will create a directory structure below it. later this folder (recursively) can be copied over to WAN location.

if you have many server which are being backed up to a central location over WAN - i would suggest trying out DPM eval to see if that solutions fits better.

------- this information is provided as-is without any warranties, implicit or explicit.
    Friday, July 2, 2010 5:32 AM

All replies

• Hi all,

I have the same problem with same scenario.

can anybody help ?

Thanks

Monday, June 7, 2010 9:51 AM
  • Same problem here.

We're using DFS on the destination, but the problem happens even when directly choosing the shared folder.

Monday, June 7, 2010 6:28 PM
  • Hello James/Francisco,

thanks for bringing your concern to us. It looks like that you are trying to do backup to a network share and the share is present on the local system. Can you confirm this? If this is correct then this is a known limitation that file level backup to such share would fail. Try the backup to any other target share that is not local to the system.

Thanks, Bikash Agrawala [MSFT] --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Proposed as answer by Bikash Agrawala Wednesday, June 9, 2010 5:33 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by James C. Papp Wednesday, June 9, 2010 10:41 PM
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 5:33 AM
  • Hi Bikash,

Yes, this is a network share to a local drive.

Is this problem documented by Microsoft anywhere (KB?) and do you know when this will be fixed? 

I have to say this seems more like a bug then an official limitation because it does work under some situations.  If the computer is configured as a domain control with active directory, for whatever reason Windows Server 2008 R2 backup has no problem backing up to a network shared to a local drive.  

If this was a limitation of the software, why does it work on some configurations and not others?

I have for the time being switched to a share that is located on a different server, but this is sub optimal; the performance drop is considerable even over a fast 1Gbit Ethernet connection.  In all my testing, backups are the fastest when done locally, and then copied using something like robocopy to send it over the wire.  Any form of latency seems to have a large impact on the creation and access of the VHD files.

Ideally, what I really need is an ability to target backups to a specific local directory, which for some arbitrary reason is only available through the network path syntax.  Will this ever change?  If I could do this, I would not need to refer to the local drive through a network share.

We are a large corporation with various retention and legal policies in place, which requires the backup data to be sent over our WAN to a special off-site storage & retainment department.  I tried to do the backups directly over the WAN, but it takes some 80+ hours to complete (full backups are worse).  If I do the same backup to a local share (where and when it works), it is done in a few hours, including the time to copy over the same WAN.  If I do the backup to a share on a different server, it increases to about 5-6 hours.

Thanks much,
    James.

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 11:06 PM
  • Hi James,

have you tried the "subst" command to get a virtual local drive that is linked to a specific folder?

--> Open the commandline and type "subst /?" for more information.

I hadn't the time to try it by myself until now.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 9:40 AM
  • <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Wingdings; panose-1:5 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:2; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:0 268435456 0 0 -2147483648 0;} @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 415 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-520092929 1073786111 9 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin-top:0cm; margin-right:0cm; margin-bottom:10.0pt; margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} p {mso-style-priority:99; mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0cm; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0cm; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;} .MsoPapDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:115%;} @page WordSection1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:70.85pt 3.0cm 70.85pt 3.0cm; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.WordSection1 {page:WordSection1;} /* List Definitions */ @list l0 {mso-list-id:1934899750; mso-list-type:hybrid; mso-list-template-ids:2026384084 -1410434388 68550659 68550661 68550657 68550659 68550661 68550657 68550659 68550661;} @list l0:level1 {mso-level-start-at:0; mso-level-number-format:bullet; mso-level-text:-; mso-level-tab-stop:none; mso-level-number-position:left; text-indent:-18.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman","serif"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} ol {margin-bottom:0cm;} ul {margin-bottom:0cm;} -->

Yes, I’m using a sharing on the same computer.   I must backup data from three servers, on disk dedicated disk. Considering the limitations of windows backup solution:

-          I can’t run the backup in one server to get data from all three;

-          I can’t run the backup software on each of the servers and set the destination to a network share because one will have the disk and one of them would have to use a share on the local machine;

-          I can’t use the other options because they’re incompatible with this scenario.

Should I deploy the DPM (with its unreasonable requirements and complexity) on a case like that just because windows backup don’t allow me to source and destination? Every time I do have two servers should I deploy DPM?

Thursday, June 24, 2010 4:08 PM
  • Dam bug. Why don't you use google groups? It works.
    Thursday, June 24, 2010 4:09 PM
  • suggest to attach the dedicated disk to one of the server. on the server where it is attached locally - backup to the volume of the disk (say x:) directly.

create a directory say backup-share on the disk and share it. other servers can backup to the share.

------- this information is provided as-is without any warranties, implicit or explicit.
    Friday, July 2, 2010 5:26 AM
  • James-

if backup is done to a drive say x:

backup will be placed in a directory x:\windowsimagebackup - backup will create a directory structure below it. later this folder (recursively) can be copied over to WAN location.

if you have many server which are being backed up to a central location over WAN - i would suggest trying out DPM eval to see if that solutions fits better.

Friday, July 2, 2010 5:32 AM
  • I have same problem with Windows Server 2008 R2 on VMs backing up to any type of UNC. Source server is a brand new, out of the box Windows Server 2008 R2 EE. Enabling VSS services, disconnecting all network drives, etc., nothing seems to work to get the OOTB Windows Server backup to work. Has Microsoft been able to tell us why this is?

Thanks,

MW61

Monday, August 9, 2010 3:36 PM
  • Running into the same exact issue. I am running Windows Server 2008 R2. I have tried doing VSS backups both to network share on the same computer and to a remote computer. In both cases, the error recorded in the event log is the same:

The backup operation that started at '‎2011‎-‎08‎-‎28T21:00:07.712563100Z' has failed with following error code '2155348041' (None of the source volumes were backed up.). Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

Is Microsoft ignoring this thread? Clearly the issue has not been addressed and a lot of people are running into it.

Sunday, August 28, 2011 9:27 PM
  • Hello Colleagues,

i have the same problem using Win2008R2 EE as VMHOST, want to Backup an Exchange Server 2010 (vmguest) incremential to a Network share on an other server.

It works about 10 times after reboot the vmguest os, then I got the mentioned message and the backup have not be done.

Workaround for me: I reboot the vmguest os, and then it work the next 10 times.

BUT THIS CAN NOT BE FOREVER.

I hope MS will find the reason of the problem and patch it.

BR

Mathis

Friday, September 16, 2011 7:29 AM
  • Hello,

It's not possible to specify as a Destination Folder a share that is located on the machine (Like \\LocalHost\ShareName) where you are running the backup (in this case, it's the SSB Backup). When you try this, the backup will fail just after finishing the enumeration of the files (after the snapshot creation and the Writer Initialization) and just before starting the I/O backup operation (i.e: Copying from source to destination). The reason is because we DO NOT SUPPORT opening VHDs from a LOOPBACK SMB CONNECTION.

During a normal Backup Operation, we create on the Target a VHD and we mount it. This VHD will be filled by the content of the source. When we target the backup to a VHD on the network, if the share is on a local drive, we try to make a loopback SMB. By design, this is not supported, and will not work.

You need to use either LOCAL Drive or Remote SHARED FOLDER on OTHER Server on your Network.

For by pass this kind of limitation, you can use a complete backup software for Enterprise like System Center Data Protection 2010.

Regards,

Carlos Carrolo - MSFT

Carlos Carrolo
    • Proposed as answer by Heems Monday, May 19, 2014 8:42 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 3:35 PM
  • Hey Carlos ... thanks in advance for the reply. I recently replaced a failed NAS that was running NTFS Windows XP Embedded with a NAS that natively supports SMB (Lacie 5Big Network 2). My 2008 R2 webadmin backup jobs are running and on the NAS, the data get's written, but I'm still getting error: '2155348301' Event ID: 5 source Backup.

The backup operation that started at '‎2011‎-‎10‎-‎27T21:50:50.896264600Z' has failed with following error code '2155348301'. Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

The following event ID 14 shows : The backup operation has completed. The Schedule Tasks where I have this job scheduled runs but after completion, shows last run result: (0xFFFFFFFD)

I have applied latest hotfix per KB2512352 and still have this result. Is this a bug with trying to mount the VHD on an SMB share?

Thx / Ronny

Ronny Redd
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 10:25 PM
  • I have the same problem. Can't backup on external USB disk because it is not supported. Can't backup on server share, because it is on the same server,  even it is on another disk.

So how can we backup on what? And that doesn't cost about 5.000$ or more and it is not a tape. I don't know who still uses a tape in this times.

I never left an open problem....I search, dig and ask, until it's solved....
    Saturday, December 24, 2011 8:57 AM
  • Monday, January 9, 2012 5:54 PM
  • Hello,

USB Disk wich support either USB 2.0 or IEEE 1394 are supported as a storage location. USB Flash drivers or pen drives are not supported to store backups. Please consult the Help from the WSB MMC console to check prerequis to use external storage.

Regards

Carlos Carrolo - MSFT

Carlos Carrolo
    Monday, January 9, 2012 6:00 PM
  • Hey Carlos, in regards to these errors:

Error: '2155348301' Event ID: 5 source Backup.

The backup operation that started at '‎2011‎-‎10‎-‎27T21:50:50.896264600Z' has failed with following error code '2155348301'. Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

The following event ID 14 shows : The backup operation has completed. The Schedule Tasks where I have this job scheduled runs but after completion, shows last run result: (0xFFFFFFFD)

Even though I have all the settings correct to allow you to run the job manually, these errors do NOT occur when the jobs run at their normal specificied times in Task Scheduler. Must be a bug with Task Scheduler. Again, the same jobs complete but with errors above, when you attempt to run them manually but when they run at the date & time programmed for each task, they complete without error.

Thx / Ronny

Ronny Redd
    Monday, January 9, 2012 8:32 PM
  • I just ran into this problem today.  Would be nice if WSB is fixed to allow backups to local directories and/or if it would allow backups to "Removable Disks" without the limitations it gives to DVD drives.

I'm trying to back up to an Quantum RDX appliance.  My server (hyper-v R2) is mounting the RDX drives over iscsi and disk manager sees them as "Removable".     

WSB GUI will let me do a one time backup to the RDX drive but it won't allow me to schedule backups using them.  wbadmin will only allow me to backup to the rdx drives if I share them and use \\localhost\share as the target.  This works for full volume backups but fails on partial file system backups.

• Proposed as answer by Erwin_Jong Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:04 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Erwin_Jong Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:04 PM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:11 PM
  • I had the same problem but created a VHD on my logical volume and formatted it as a primary partition so i could select the disk with Server Backup and this works.

Regards, E de Jong

• Proposed as answer by Erwin_Jong Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:05 PM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2012 4:05 PM
  • I had the same issue. Windows Server 2008 R2. Error 517

The backup operation that started at '

‎2012‎-‎10‎-‎01T11:48:59.225920500Z' has failed with following error code '2155348301' (There was a failure in updating the backup for deleted items.). Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.

The backup was scheduled in windows task scheduler, which started a backup.cmd file. I had two issues:
    1)First in the cmd file I tried UNC network path in the destination address. This was a shared folder on my local server. So in the cmd script I changed the network path to a local path. From \\ps-fserv\system_backup to W:\system_backup.
    2) And second: There was a task scheduler problem. I set up the task, to run with highest privileges, hidden, windows server 2008 R2 mode. And at the actions section I changed to start my cmd script with the "\C" parameter.
    Program: CMD
    Arguments: \C c:\windows\backup.cmd

After I set up the arguments to start the scheduled task cmd with "\C" parameter, my backup immediately healed. It runs perfectly.

I hope it can help... 

Monday, October 1, 2012 2:04 PM
  • Thanks E de Jong

This worked for me.

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 3:12 PM