Virtual second screen on Xp using VNC RRS feed

• Question

• On my company network, I need to access a computer on a tablet (Android) using VNC (Virtual Network Control). I established connection and can see and use the remote desktop on the tablet.

I need to add a second screen to the computer I am accessing, however I do not need the physical screen, only to be able to show the second screen on the tablet.

As written the tablet runs Android and has connection to the computer, I only need to have the virtual second screen on the Win XP run computer.

Saturday, May 11, 2013 6:42 AM

Answers

• Well, it it of course _possible_ without extra cards, because all these extra cards are just software drivers to the OS. But it seems that no one has developed such driver for hardware-less remote connection.

A "quick and dirty" solution for the OP may be running the 2nd instance or desktop in a VMware virtual machine, which is accessed over VNC. VirtualBox has similar feature.

-- pa

Sunday, May 12, 2013 3:42 PM

All replies

• Not sure if you can configure using VNC. But, here are the apps :

Dexpot allows even more configuration for each of its 20 possible desktops. It has a well organized interface that enables easy switching among desktops and quick movement of windows. The online documentation is slightly incomplete and the most active section of the online forum is in German. However, this should not prove to be much of a hindrance, owing to the ease of use of the application. Unfortunately, Dexpot's installer is bundled with OpenCandy, an advertising program which recommends other software when you install Dexpot. (See Gizmo's Freeware Policy on OpenCandy.)

VirtuaWin is a competent but basic product that depends on third-party modules for extra features but unfortunately, there aren't many around.

Next is Virtual Dimension. With a more minimalist and "straight to the point" approach, I found it to be fast and easy to install, configure and use.  Documentation seems to be lacking a bit, but once again, like Dexpot, it should not be much of a problem to begin using this little VDM.

Finally there is Microsoft Virtual Desktop Manager (MSVDM). I had a fairly pleasant experience with MSVDM. Although lacking in some of the features found in most of the other applications, it makes up by its small size and simplicity. If you've looking for just the basics in a VDM, MSVDM is a good choice.

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, May 11, 2013 6:48 AM
  • Hi ArnavSharma

I tried the MSVDM – if the other programs offer the same, I’m afraid is it not what I was looking for.

I need to create a virtual second screen/desktop; the second screen should be shown on my tablet using VNC to connect to the computer running the extended desktop.

It’s a till register in a restaurant, that can run two sessions of the till program, I need to access on a tablet and on the touch screen behind the bar.
    This would save me from buying an extra computer that the tablet could access.

I could of cause buy a USB graphic card, but that would require a screen connected to the VGA port the graphics card, to be able to extend the desktop. Behind the bar it’s very limited with space, and I do not have space for a second screen to “fool” the computer to extend my desktop.

I hopwe this clearifies my needs.

Saturday, May 11, 2013 7:27 AM
  • i don't think this is possible without adding an extra card,

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, May 12, 2013 2:42 PM
  • Hi,

If you are using ultra VNC on the XP machine then

Edit ultravnc.ini accordingly

ultravnc.ini
    primary=1
    secondary=0

p=1 s=0 -> show primary display
    p=1 s=1 -> show both
    p=0 s=1 -> show secondary

Regards,

M

If you find my information useful, please rate it. :-)

Monday, May 13, 2013 4:20 PM