make contoso.com SP / CRM site available externally RRS feed

• Question

• We have a pre-bottled Hyper-V virtual machine that we've stood up w/CRM2011. We hope to customize and use as a base for a demo for various departments. Works fine internally, but can't make it work externally.

internal access by short url, e.g. http://crm2011

problem: the pre-bottled server is "@contoso.com"; we are, say, "@growingcompany.com"

Can use external dns to point, say, demo.growingcompany.com to point to an external ip address that we own, then use firewall nat to point that to an internal ip address.

the buck stops there.

I can (and have) made an new zone, contoso.com in my internal dns. i've added the internal ip address (destination of the inbound nat rule) to the contoso.com internal dns record and had it create the pointer.

contoso.com

w.x.y.z demo.contoso.com

Just came across a blog that mentioned editing the public url under alternate access mappings to be the fqdn and not the short name.

it seems like the way to go, but I'm a little bit spun around. Thoughts? Guidance? Caveats?

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 12:44 PM

All replies

• you have to add the FQDN both as an AAM and as a host header in IIS for it to start working.

Emmanuel ISSALY - Architecte Infra Sharepoint (MCITP 2010)

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 1:07 PM
  • ID10T question: Is the AAM just a string of characters? Could I put anything there? For example: After a recent company merger, as a quick workaround for easy access could I modify. oldaam.newcompany.com by adding an AAM of aam.totally-un-related-but-recently-purchased-company.com -- assuming I could point the new fqdn via dns...
    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 2:04 PM
  • Well, yes and no. It needs to fit http standards at least. But if i understand your question, it's just an alias. You can have several aliases for your website, that we usually use in sharepoint to distinguish the usage : for example: "Intranet" for intranet access (NTLM) "extranet.corp" (NTLM or forms) "blabla.bla.com" (Anonymous)... etc.

You can also make internal aliases (redirects) via AAM. Please take note that if you're using states (like workflows), renaming or deleting an AAM can break them. Also, a recrawl can be needed as well to index.

But to summarize, it is just a routing table. Protocol, url and port.

Emmanuel ISSALY - Architecte Infra Sharepoint (MCITP 2010)

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 2:16 PM