none
Earned Value over time using Project Server 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi - I am having trouble setting up earned value data over time through the Project Server reporting.

I am able to get Planned Value and Actual Cost by using a SQL statement into an Excel file in the AssignmentTimeByDay table.  However, I am having trouble calculating Earned Value using this format.

Has anyone had success doing this?  Is there a custom MDX expression that you can provide or another way of getting this calculation through one of the reporting DB tables?  I appreciate any help you can provide.

Friday, April 20, 2012 10:21 AM

All replies

• Friday, April 20, 2012 10:33 AM
  • Hi Abhijeet - I found that interesting as well.  I tried putting that code in the visual basic of a test project file and, while the code ran, it did not update the Baseline10Cost.  Have you successfully put this VB code in a project?  If so, did you have to do anything to get it to transfer the data?
    Friday, April 20, 2012 10:36 AM
  • Hi MajinJX,

Frankly I have not tried this solution. I was running through similar problem before few days and while researching I reached to this article.

I could't try this as this requirement was then de-prioritized and I couldn't get time to work on this.

What I would suggest is you comment on the same blog link and the author of that article should help you for sure.

Abhijeet M. Mohite

Friday, April 20, 2012 10:46 AM
  • EV values are held in the reporting database - worth referencing the Project Server 2010 SDK http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms512767.aspx#pj14_Welcome_Download to review.  Whether you agree with the EV calculations though is another matter....!

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Friday, April 20, 2012 10:54 AM
  • Hi Ben -

The Earned Value fields that I need are timephased.  I did see the fields you mentioned in the non-timephased portion of the reporting DB.  I was able to get timephased PV and AC by using AssignmentBaselineCost and AssignmentActualCost, which tied to the projects I was testing without exception.

Are you aware of where in the reporting DB the BCWP (Earned Value) is stored as timephased?  My understanding was that is was not directly stored.

Friday, April 20, 2012 11:04 AM
  • Hi Majin,  there were some partner solns regarding EV; I did think ProjectProCorp had written something but I cannot find it on their website.  Andrew's article and associated code is another option.  It should work, if not, worth posting on his blog!

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Friday, April 20, 2012 11:45 AM
  • Hi Ben - I have posted a question on the second page of Andrew's blog.  Hopefully, he can point me in the right direction.  Thanks for your help.
    Friday, April 20, 2012 1:27 PM