Office 365 - Outlook 2016 received attachments are corrupted. RRS feed

• Question

• We have a user with the following system:

Windows 10 Pro N - 64 bit

Office 365 w/ Office 2016

When this user receives an email attachment (word, excel) they are not able to open them. Neither in the preview pane or by saving them local and opening them with Word or Excel. The odd thing is that if they user logs into office.com to view the email they can see them in the preview pane but when they download them and try and view them they are receiving the same error again.

If the user forwards the "corrupted" document to me, I can open it fine. Note, I had the use send the file to me from an external email account as well.

While writing this post, we found that moving the file to the desktop and opening the properties there is a checkbox under the General tab to "Unblock" the file. If we check that the file opens.

I feel like if we can find where to change that setting globally we will have a solution. I will post back with any findings. 

I am looking forward to any suggestions as well.

Thanks,

James

Reporting back... After more research I am finding workarounds for this particular issue but nothing that can actually help solve the situation. 

I have seen the following workarounds:

Disable "Do not preserve zone information in file attachments in Group Policy"

Disable all check boxes in the Protected View settings in Word and Excel

Check firewall and make sure it is on

These options are enabled on other computers in the company and this is not an issue. Also, some these workarounds create unnecessary security holes. 

Thursday, October 25, 2018 9:02 PM

All replies

• Hi So noob,

Does this issue only occur to the particular user? What if creating a new profile on another user's working machine and adding the problematic user's account to see if the problem persists? 

If the problem only affect a specific machine, please try starting Outlook in safe mode(Press Win+R, type "outlook /safe", press Enter.) and see if there is any improvement. 

It is also suggested to try creating a new Outlook profile for the problematic user to check the result.

Any update, feel free to post back.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, October 26, 2018 9:50 AM