none
Restore individual files and tape support? RRS feed

• Question

• I've installed an eval of DPM 2010 and have setup a folder for protection. It appears to be getting backed up, but when I try to restore it only gives me the option to restore the entire folder. Where do I specify the files?

Also, I setup my Dell LTO2 external tape drive as a device, but can't seem to get it to work with DPM. When it tries to backup all I get is "backup to tape failed".

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 6:53 PM

All replies

• Hi,

When we backup to tape, DPM builds a catalog and at the end of the backup, populates the DPM DB with the folder and file information.  If you doubleclick a folder under the recovery tab, DPM should show you the files inside so you can select them to restore.

Please supply the details of the failed job and the alert for that job from under the monitoring tab.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 12:17 AM
  • I found the error code 3311. It says I need to have Windows Server Backup installed on Windows 2008. What about 2008 R2?

Is this required on every protected server?

Thursday, March 24, 2011 1:50 PM
  • Hi,

There is no requirement to have Windows server backup installed on a protected server unless you want to protect systemstate or BMR with DPM.  I don't see the correlation between your tape restore issue and that error unless you are protecting systemstate and we could not create a RP because the windows backup was not installed on the PS and what you were trying to restore was the systemstate backup. 

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 7:44 PM
  • Mike,

That's what it was. I did have System State protected. One more question. I've installed a Technet copy of DPM 2010 to test. On the Management -> Agents area I see that there is 0 licenses installed. How can I test 2 or 3 protected servers if the Technet copy doesn't come with the appropriate licenses? Can I add more with my Technet subscription?

Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:03 PM
  • Hi,

The evaluation copy of DPM does not require licences, you can protect as much as you want for 180 days before it expires.

• Proposed as answer by MarcReynolds Friday, April 29, 2011 3:57 PM
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:23 PM