none
How am I supposed to sign into the Microsoft authentication App RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to sign onto microsoft authentication app.

it ask me for my account name. i type it in.

It ask me for password. I type it in

it says that I need to approve the account sign i using the authentication app. 

I cannot access the authentication app to allow access. because thats the account im trying to log into. If i choose to authenticate a different way other than the app. it directs me to change my user name and password that loops me right back into this mess.

I've been on hold for over an hour with xbox talking to 3 different people that don't even understand how your crap app even works.

How the hell do I use the authentication app to allow sign ins, when its the authentication app that i can not sign into

Saturday, September 30, 2017 3:54 PM

All replies

• Hi Yourappishorrible

What is type of your account? Microsoft account(like outlook.com, Hotmail.com) or Azure Ad account?

Currently, function sign in only supports Microsoft accounts, if your account is a Azure AD account, you could add your accounts according to this link.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/multi-factor-authentication/end-user/microsoft-authenticator-app-how-to#add-accounts-to-the-app

Regards,

Walter

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 2, 2017 2:21 AM
  • My problem is exactly the same. my account is a Microsoft account.
    Saturday, December 2, 2017 3:09 AM
  • Exact same problem I’m having. I bought a new laptop and was asked to authenticate it. Installed Authenticator to my phone and it asks me to authenticate the authenticator when I click on verify another way it loops me back to entering in my password.
    Wednesday, December 6, 2017 7:18 PM
  • Same here.

This happens with all my private MS accounts...please, FIX IT!!!

Thursday, December 7, 2017 5:38 AM
  • Hi

To troubleshoot this issue more efficiently, cloud you please send logs through the settings page? The newest version has send logs option.

After we send the log, we will get an event ID, please remember it and post it here.

Regards,

Walter

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 7, 2017 6:10 AM
  • Where is the settings page as I have the exact same loop on both mobile and desktop microsoft support had me post it on this forum but when I see other people have the same problem.
    Thursday, December 7, 2017 7:54 PM
  • Yeah, so...

I am in complete agreement with the other users. This is an infinite loop from which there is no escape. I love the idea of the authenticator app, but frankly, it is a HUGE disappointment.

Not only do I get caught in the same loop referenced, but I am unable to extract or send a log file as requested above.

Device is a Note 8 running on the latest version of Android. Authenticator app was downloaded from the Google Play Store and appears to be the most current version for my device and OS.

This app casts a HUGE pall over what has, to date, been a pleasant experience integrating my MS apps across three different platforms.

Blech!!!

I've uninstalled and apparently will have to wait until someone gets a fix in place or can explain, in simple terms, a work around.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 6:23 PM