Installation stuck at Microsoft Corporation progress bar RRS feed

• Question

• I've been having problems with my machine.

GA-965P-DQ6

4×1Gb Kingmax DDR2-800

Gigabyte 7600GT

SATA Maxtor HDD

The MB has two SATA controllers which can work in IDE or SATA AHCI or RAID mode.

If I set the controller to IDE:

- The 1st progress bar is slow

- The installation gets past the Microsoft Corporation progress bar

- The installation hangs for almost 5 minutes just after displaying the background image, and again after selecting Install Now button. HDD lights up constant (no flickering). - BIG MISTERY. No idea what is happening here!

If I set the controller to SATA AHCI:

- The 1st progress bar is faster

- The Installation

a) hangs at the Microsoft Corporation progress bar

b)  The installation hangs for almost 5 minutes just after displaying the background image, and again after selecting Install Now button. HDD lights up constant (no flickering). - BIG MISTERY. No idea what is happening here!

Any ideas?

Monday, February 18, 2008 1:30 PM

Answers

• Hi Zoran,

Thanks for your update.

If possible, please try to format your disk D and try again. Also, I have performed further research, and found the following tricks which you may like to have a try:

1. Upgrade the motherboard's BIOS to newest version.

2. Unmount the hard drive which XP is installed, then try again.

3. Use only one RAM without overclock.

Note: Please perform a full backup before trying the above steps.

Hope it helps.

-----------------------------
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, February 21, 2008 9:55 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for your post.

I would like to know if you formatted the drive before the installation. If not, I suggest formatting the drive first if you have a Windows Vista full version disk. After that, we will get a clean environment to install Windows

Vista.

If the installation still freezes, the issue should be very likely caused by the hardware.

First I suggest we wait 10 to 15 minutes to make sure that the computer does not continue with the Setup procedure.

Then press ALT+TAB to check if there is any error message hidden behind the Setup splash screen. If so, please let me know the exact wording of error message.

If no error message appears, please remove unnecessary hardware devices such as sound card, printer, TV card and network card from the system. Unplug and re-plug the USB mouse and keyboard.

This issue can also be caused by the faulty .or incompatible memory. Let’s try to use Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool to check if it is the cause of the issue. 

1. Boot from the Vista media.

2. Click the System Recovery Options.

3. Click Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool.

4. Click Restart now to check if the issue has been resolved.

In addition, we find the PC hang issue during the Vista installation can sometimes be caused by the corrupt installation disk or DVD drive. You can try to get another Vista disk or use another DVD drive to test the

issue.

Hope it helps.
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 9:34 AM
  • Thank you for your answer.

The HDD is not formated. There are 3 partitions on the disk, but to answer your question, no, no partition has been pre-formated.

My three partitions are:

C - XP

D - Vista

E - Backup & Data

I have installed Vista previously to disk D, and it was dual boot with XP.

I've also suspected memory issues as I had some problems when runing DVD encoding in VIsta. The computer would BSOD with different errors every time.

I suspected memory problems, but the MDT did not detect any problems. I've tried to underclock my DDR2-800 to 667 MHz, the system would seem stable.

But I don't think that this is pausing the installation process.

Zoran

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 12:03 PM
  • Hi Zoran,

Thanks for your update.

If possible, please try to format your disk D and try again. Also, I have performed further research, and found the following tricks which you may like to have a try:

1. Upgrade the motherboard's BIOS to newest version.

2. Unmount the hard drive which XP is installed, then try again.

3. Use only one RAM without overclock.

Note: Please perform a full backup before trying the above steps.

Hope it helps.

Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang

Thursday, February 21, 2008 9:55 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as 'Answered' as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

If the issue still persists and you want to return to this question, please reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.

In addition, we'd love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks!
    Sincerely,
    Guozhen Wang

Monday, February 25, 2008 6:55 AM