Some colours are hard to see (especially for colourblind people like me) RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys, thought I'd share my experiences with you and get your feedback.  I am colourblind but have got similar comments from friends of mine who can see colour.

There are mainly 2 colour choices that I find very hard to see in Windows 7:

- Menu selections: http://users.on.net/~djbros/menu-color.png  This was much better in XP.
    - Login screen / Ctrl+Alt+Delete screen text, the wallpaper is way too bright.  This was much better in Vista / XP.

What do you think?

Cheers
    Zambz
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 3:07 PM

Answers

• zambz,

You can change the login screen, see this article.
    Also, if you experiment with the clear type tuner, you should be able to improve that menu appearance. This is found in Control Panel, All control panel items, display (then on the left menu, Adjust clear type text).

Let me know if this helps...
    • Marked as answer by axfelix Sunday, May 24, 2009 10:23 PM
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 9:19 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• What do you suggest then? ["this was much better in XP" won't be enough :)]

And you can change some of the colors yourself ;)
    Regards, Kristaps.
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 9:07 PM
  • zambz,

You can change the login screen, see this article.
    Also, if you experiment with the clear type tuner, you should be able to improve that menu appearance. This is found in Control Panel, All control panel items, display (then on the left menu, Adjust clear type text).

Let me know if this helps...
    • Marked as answer by axfelix Sunday, May 24, 2009 10:23 PM
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 9:19 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for your help folks, what I suggest for the menus is very simple, a darker mouse over color, I will prepare a screenshot as an example very soon and post it here.

The only way to change this color is by using a resource hacker and editing the msstyles file, and then patching UXTheme which is what I'm doing at the moment :)

I also do understand that you can change the login background, but I feel that the default should be already good enough for most people to use.  Essentially, the wallpaper for the login screen should be darker so that the white text stands out more.

From my perspective, the wallpaper is very bright (keep in mind I can't see colours, so everything is a shade of grey), and the text is white.  It's like trying to see white text on a very bright grey background.  With the menus, the mouse-over color appears to me as a very similar shade of grey as the background of the menu, and thus, I can't see selections.

I'll post some screenshots of suggestions soon.
    • Edited by zambz-old Sunday, May 24, 2009 11:07 PM
    Sunday, May 24, 2009 10:59 PM
  • Ok, as promised, here's what I suggest for menu colors, "Select All" is the selected item in both:

Before:

After:

I have actually done this with a simple hack to the msstyles file.  Image 980 is the one which controls the right click menu.

If you also try Paint in Windows 7 (which has different menu colors) and check out the right click menu, it is substantially easier to see too

Cheers
    Zambz
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 12:31 AM
  • Perhaps the best solution for you would be to use one of the High Contrast themes.

You can access these themes by going to Control Panel > Appearance and Personalization > Personalization. There are 4 varieties.

Hope this helps,
    Nick
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 2:56 AM