how to push VBScript through sms 2003 RRS feed

• Question

• how can i push vbscript to all my Windows Xp Client Computers.

say I have shared folder Apps which contain vbscript say test.vbs i want to push this to all my Windows Xp computers.

what would be the command line to run this script silently.

Sunday, February 19, 2012 4:05 PM

Answers

• create an empty package and a program with a commandline like this cscript.exe vbscript.vbs and configure C:\Apps\ as the directory.

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund

Sunday, February 19, 2012 5:01 PM
  • Stupid question but why store the DLL on a server? Why not use SMS2k3 to deliver the DLL to the WS installed?

i.e. have you program do something like this.

Copy abc.dll c:\Program Files\Software\abc.dll

http://www.enhansoft.com/

Monday, February 20, 2012 10:02 PM

All replies

• create an empty package and a program with a commandline like this cscript.exe vbscript.vbs and configure C:\Apps\ as the directory.

Kent Agerlund | My blogs: blog.coretech.dk/kea and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter: @Agerlund | Linkedin: Kent Agerlund

Sunday, February 19, 2012 5:01 PM
  • I want to copy a dll file on windows xp computers on my network.

i have shared a folder on one server say \\server1\sharedfolder\abc.dll.

I want to  overwrite this abc.dll file on to C:\program files\software\abc.dll on to all my windows xp computers.

i have written a vbscript and it is 100 percent working fine in a hidden way.it is working manually but when i send through sms

it is failing. the script seems to be executing but the file is not being copied and i could not notice any error.

i have created  a shared folder where i put this vbscript and created empty packge and program.

i have given command line: testscript.vbs    it is not working

i also gave at command line :"C:\windows\system32\cscript.exe" testscript.vbs  it is not working.

please guide me 

• Edited by Risingflight Monday, February 20, 2012 6:49 AM naming error
    Monday, February 20, 2012 6:48 AM
  • what is the command used in the testscript.vbs ? Is it blank?

Anoop C Nair - @anoopmannur

MY BLOG:  http://anoopmannur.wordpress.com

User Group:  ConfigMgr Professionals

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties/guarantees and confers no rights.

Monday, February 20, 2012 7:21 AM
  • The below script is what i am executing to copy a dll file on to all my Windows Xp Computers. During the package creation i have given run with admin privileges.

On server1 i have shared a folder which contains my dll file(xyz.dll).For testing purpose i gave full permission in sharing and security for Domain users and doman Computers.

The name of this script lets say testvbs, wht should i give the command line. There is no issue with the script i belive 

' ' VBScript
    Option explicit

' Next line is important, as it calls our function:
    'Wscript.Echo CopyAFile( "\\Server1\SharedFolder", "c:\Program Files\Software", "abc.dll")
    Dim strMsg
    strMsg = CopyAFile( "\\Server1\SharedFolder", "c:\Program Files\Software", "abc.dll")

' Next three lines illustrate correspondence of data to arguments:
    ''' strSourceFolder := "\\Server1\SharedFolder"
    ''' strTargetFolder := "c:\Program Files\Software"
    ''' strFileName := "abc.dll"
    '

Wscript.Quit

Function CopyAFile( Byval strSourceFolder, Byval strTargetFolder, Byval strFileName)
    '
    ' Presumptions: 
    ' strSourceFolder folder must exist
    ' strTargetFolder folder must exist
    ' strFileName file must exist in strSourceFolder folder
    '  
    Dim objFSO, booOverWrite, strResult
    Set objFSO = CreateObject( "Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    If objFSO.FileExists( strSourceFolder & "\" & strFileName) _
        And UCase( strSourceFolder) <> UCase( strTargetFolder) Then
      If objFSO.FolderExists( strTargetFolder) Then
      Else
        strResult = "The destination folder does not exist! In general, creating a folder may be a non-trivial task."
        CopyAFile = strResult
        Exit Function
      End If
      If objFSO.FileExists( strTargetFolder & "\" & strFileName) Then
        strResult = "The file exists, overwritten"
        booOverWrite = vbTrue
      Else
        strResult = "The file does not exist, created"
        booOverWrite = vbFalse
      End If
      objFSO.CopyFile strSourceFolder & "\" & strFileName, strTargetFolder & "\", booOverWrite
    Else
      strResult = "The source file does not exist, or identical Source and Target folders!"
    End If
    CopyAFile = strResult
    End Function

Monday, February 20, 2012 7:59 AM
  • May be you can get more details about current directory settings while running the programs from SMS or configmgr

http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/jsandys/archive/2009/08/30/current-directory-in-configmgr-programs.aspx

Anoop C Nair - @anoopmannur

MY BLOG:  http://anoopmannur.wordpress.com

User Group:  ConfigMgr Professionals

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties/guarantees and confers no rights.

Monday, February 20, 2012 9:24 AM
  • Hello

Thanks alot but i am confused still. Adding the below lines to the script, will it work and wht should i put in the command line

Set WshNetwork = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Network") 
    Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

info = WshNetwork.UserDomain & "\" & WshNetwork.UserName & vbCrLf & WshShell.CurrentDirectory

WScript.Echo info

Monday, February 20, 2012 7:02 PM
  • if possible can you add lines to this script
    Monday, February 20, 2012 7:04 PM
  • Stupid question but why store the DLL on a server? Why not use SMS2k3 to deliver the DLL to the WS installed?

i.e. have you program do something like this.

Copy abc.dll c:\Program Files\Software\abc.dll

http://www.enhansoft.com/

Monday, February 20, 2012 10:02 PM