How to change standard rate for a resource at project Level? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a resource whose rates vary depending upon his location . So how i can i change his rate in the same project lets just say he is charged with some 50$ from 1st to 15th and then 100$ from 15th to 30th or so on ... how can i achieve that.

I tried going into the resource sheet view and then under cost rate table to change the value and apply one efffective date for it, but as soon as i publish the project the changes that i make are lost !!! and it again takes back the default values set in the PWA for the resource , is there any way to achieve what i am trying to do here ??

Thanks

Monday, September 2, 2013 9:16 AM

All replies

• SpWrk --

First of all, as a project manager, you can not allowed to specify cost rates for the resources in your Enterprise Resource Pool.  Only your Project Server administrator is allowed to do this.  So, this means that your Project Server administrator would need to specify a default Standard rate for each resource, along with up to 5 additional alternate Standard cost rates.  Once done, you can change the Cost Rate used on the task assignments for each resource by applying the Resource Usage view and inserting the Cost Rate Table column.  Keep in mind that you must specify a Cost Rate Table at the task assignment level, and cannot specify it at the date level.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, September 2, 2013 6:43 PM
  • SpWrk ,

Only if you have administrator privileges at the Project Server as Dale said.

Alexandre Paiva, PMP, MCTS, ITIL Project Manager +55 (21) 8887-3645 alexandre.paiva@gerentedeprojeto.net.br www.gerentedeprojeto.net.br

Monday, September 2, 2013 9:23 PM
  • Hi Dale,

I have admin access to the PWA, how can i define 5 different rates for a particular resource and how can i use it for different tasks ?

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 6:13 AM
  • SpWrk --

Log into PWA with Administrator permissions and then navigate to the Resource Center page.  Select the checkbox for the resource in question and then click the Open button.  This action will launch Microsoft Project 2010 and check out the resource for editing.  Double-click the name of the resource and then click the Costs tab in the Resource Information dialog.  On this page, you will see 5 worksheet tabs labeled A (Default) through E.  Place the normal rate for the resource on the A tab and then place alternate cost rates on tabs B through E.  Click the OK button when finished, then save and close the checked out resource in the Enterprise Resource Pool.

In my last post, I already told you how to change the Cost Rate Table used for the resource on task assignments.  Refer back to that, please.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 12:02 PM