none
Resource Usage view - How can I group a series of weeks WORK and total them RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I am using MS Project 2007 professional

Using the field work in the timephased area of Resource Usage......I would like to group a series of weeks and total the WORK field each week such as;

The week of 6/18, the week of 6/25, the week of 7/2, the week of 7/9

or.........the week of 6/25, the week of 7/2, the week of 7/9, the week of 7/16

0r.....the week of of 7/16, the week of 7/23, the week of 7/30, the week of 8/6, etc

Anyway to do this?

Sunday, July 3, 2011 3:24 AM

Answers

• Hotmail1,

I see you are working the weekend again. Is there no limit to your dedication?

Project will group row data but not column data. You basically have two options. One is to show Cumulative Work along with Work in the timescale data and set the bottom tier timescale to weeks. Then manually subtract the cumulative data for each series of weeks to find the total for that series. A bit tedious bit it will work. You could copy the values to extra fields and then use yet another extra field to do the calculation.

A second approach is via VBA. Develop a macro to read however many weeks of work data you want for each group and then sum and write that value to an extra field.

Hope this helps.

John

Sunday, July 3, 2011 3:46 PM

All replies

• Hotmail1,

I see you are working the weekend again. Is there no limit to your dedication?

Project will group row data but not column data. You basically have two options. One is to show Cumulative Work along with Work in the timescale data and set the bottom tier timescale to weeks. Then manually subtract the cumulative data for each series of weeks to find the total for that series. A bit tedious bit it will work. You could copy the values to extra fields and then use yet another extra field to do the calculation.

A second approach is via VBA. Develop a macro to read however many weeks of work data you want for each group and then sum and write that value to an extra field.

Hope this helps.

John

Sunday, July 3, 2011 3:46 PM
  • Take a look at the Resource Usage report through the Report function.  You can alter the report to show actual work by month with column and/or row totals and then limit the timeframe (number of months) that you print the report using the print date range.  Play with the different combinations and see if this could produce what you are looking for.

Go to the Report menu and select Reports.  Select the center box in the second row and then select Resource Usage.  Select edit to alter the results.  I tried this and I think it might be close to what you are looking for.  It will be a printed report and not a view. 

Good luck.

Ellen Lehnert, PMP, MCT ellen@lehnertcs.com www.lehnertcs.com Training/Consulting/Author
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 4:38 PM
  • Hi,

It's simple enough to group by 4 weeks... just set the minor timescale to weeks, count 4

But the problem I'm stuck with is that you cannot set the starting week of the grouping, Project fixes that itself without (that I know) any possibility of resetting

Greetings,

Monday, July 4, 2011 8:37 AM
  • Thanks

I'll see about porting it to Excel and see if I can group by their as I do want to select the start of my grouping of 4 weeks

Monday, July 4, 2011 8:42 PM
  • Hotmail1,

In your original post you indicated spans of 4 weeks but the weeks didn't coincide with calendar month breaks. Are you trying to look at the data in terms of accounting months? If so, then my original suggestions or export to Export to Excel are the only options.

John

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 2:27 PM