none
DPM 2016 RU2 - Unable to modify disk allocation like I used to for DPM 2012R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there.

It looks like trying to modify the disk allocation for a protection group is not an option for DPM2016.

This is an example of what I see when trying:

This is completely different from 2012R2, where you could change the allocation for the replica volume and recovery point volume:

Soooo now I am in trouble with a failing backup (BMR) that needs more space on DPM. Since I can't grow the replica volume like I used to, there is no way for the BMR to succeed.

What happened to DPM2016  and what drove this change? I am stuck now!

Claudio

• Edited by Audiolomb Tuesday, March 7, 2017 8:43 PM
    Tuesday, March 7, 2017 8:32 PM

Answers

• Hi

DPM 2016 + UR1 has enabled the Edit-DPMDiskAllocation command to work with MBS.

You can resize the replica using the below DPM powershell commands.

$pgList = Get-DPMProtectionGroup -DpmServerName (&Hostname)
    $pglist
    $dsList = Get-DPMDatasource -ProtectionGroup $Pglist[Index of PG Object from $pgList]
    $dslist
    $dsselected = $dsList[<index of DS Object from $dsList>]
    Edit-DPMDiskAllocation -DataSource $Dsselected -ReplicaSize <Target Size in BYTES>  #IE Bytes=#GB*1024*1024*1024

I have a blog in the works for the same and will include a user friendly script to make it much easier / faster and less prone to mistakes.

UPDATE:  Blog got published today.

How to increase DPM 2016 replica when using Modern Backup Storage (MBS)

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 10:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

When using DPM 2016 modern backup storage (MBS), DPM only allocates the space needed to protect the size of the data being protected.  Unfortunately, BMR size can fluctuate between servers and by default DPM only allocates 30GB. To accommodate larger BMR sizes you can modify the default size to be a larger number. 

As per the release notes: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/system-center-docs/get-started/release-notes?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Bare Metal Recovery protection failures

Description: If you configure Bare Metal Recovery (BMR) protection, the BMR protection job may fail with the message that the replica size is not sufficiently large.

Workaround: Change the default replica size for BMR datasources using the following registry key: Registry Path : HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Configuration ReplicaSizeInGBForSystemProtectionWithBMR (DWORD)

On MBS, this is thin provisioned, so it does not really consume that larger size, however BMR backups when using MBS does consume more space that on DPM 2012 R2 - see my announcement here so you can plan accordingly.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, March 7, 2017 10:26 PM
  • Hi all,

this is not just a problem for BMR!

We are running DPM in a bigger environment.
    Quite often we provide new VMs for co-workers and customers.

For example they request a server with 500 GB.
    We provide such a system and the server will  be backed up by DPM:
    At the beginning there is not much space consumed and we do not know when customers start to use that 500GB.
    Sometimes 2-3 months later they suddenly use 400GB so there is a sudden growth from 2 to 400 GB.
    In DPM 2012R2 it was no bigger problem.
    Operation staff grew the replica manually if DPM could not automatically grow enough within 24 hours.
    In DPM 2016 we cannot do anything (we could change registry keys for "Self Healing" but with 80-100 PS protected by one DPM server that is not what we want).

So at the moment we stop deployment of DPM 2016 for file services.

regards

/bkpfast

My postings are provided &quot;AS IS&quot; with no warranties and confer no rights

• Edited by bkpfast Wednesday, March 8, 2017 9:26 AM change
    Wednesday, March 8, 2017 9:24 AM
  • Thank you for your replies.

This does not make any sense at all. DPM 2016 is marketed as 3xFaster and as a storage saver:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/dpm/2016/10/19/announcing-sc-dpm-2016-with-modern-backup-storage/

Plus, VMware is not supported yet (false advertising).

Had I known before, I would have stayed with 2012R2. I believe 2016RU2 is not mature enough.

Lesson learned.

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 2:58 PM
  • I'm having the same issue. In my case it's with a file folder which was empty when I added it to DPM, but I have since added 65Gb of data to it. It keeps failing saying I need to allocate more storage with no way of allocating more storage. 
    Monday, March 27, 2017 8:38 PM
  • At least you get the Modify disk allocation screen.  My install has jobs failing due to "replica disk threshold exceeded" but the modify disk option is greyed out.  Hopefully this product improves quickly.  I really miss DPM 2012 R2.
    Monday, March 27, 2017 9:23 PM
  • The problem is that it's the "wrong" disk allocation screen. I dont know why we would need to change the journal size manually..
    Monday, March 27, 2017 9:35 PM
  • Hi

DPM 2016 + UR1 has enabled the Edit-DPMDiskAllocation command to work with MBS.

You can resize the replica using the below DPM powershell commands.

$pgList = Get-DPMProtectionGroup -DpmServerName (&Hostname)
    $pglist
    $dsList = Get-DPMDatasource -ProtectionGroup $Pglist[Index of PG Object from $pgList]
    $dslist
    $dsselected = $dsList[<index of DS Object from $dsList>]
    Edit-DPMDiskAllocation -DataSource $Dsselected -ReplicaSize <Target Size in BYTES>  #IE Bytes=#GB*1024*1024*1024

I have a blog in the works for the same and will include a user friendly script to make it much easier / faster and less prone to mistakes.

UPDATE:  Blog got published today.

How to increase DPM 2016 replica when using Modern Backup Storage (MBS)

Tuesday, March 28, 2017 10:06 PM
  • Hi,

that is good news!

Thank You.

My postings are provided &quot;AS IS&quot; with no warranties and confer no rights

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 11:33 AM
  • The problem is that it's the "wrong" disk allocation screen. I dont know why we would need to change the journal size manually..

To answer the last part. If you have really big fileservers the journal can wrap before backups are done or while consistency check is running. Then you need to extend that. Otherwise the backup becomes inconsistent (again).

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 3:25 PM
  • Good to know, thanks!
    Wednesday, March 29, 2017 3:28 PM
  • 

Hello all together,

we have a DPM 2016 + UR2 on Windows Server 2016. Unfortunately we get the following error when we try to resize the volume of our file server.

Edit-DPMDiskAllocation : DPM could not execute a WMI query. The query either

returned an error or an empty result. (ID: 33507) Retry the operation. At C:\Scripts\ResizeReplica\ResizeReplica.ps1:17 char:5 + Edit-DPMDiskAllocation -DataSource $ds -ReplicaSize $TargetSizeBY ... + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Edit-DPMDiskAllocation], NonFatalWmiException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : WMIFailedToExecuteQuery,Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.Cmdlet.ProtectionCmd Lets.ModifyDPMDiskAllocation

This is a big problem for us because we didn't get some volumes consistent. Error in DPM GUI:

The used disk space on the computer running DPM for the replica of System Protection Computer\System Protection has exceeded the threshold value of 90%, or there is not enough disk space to accommodate the changed data. If you do not allocate more disk space, synchronization jobs may fail. (ID 3100)

Any ideas are welcome.  Best Regards Michael

Monday, August 21, 2017 2:42 PM
  • I solved the problem. ;-)

On our DPM server was the Optimize Drives (defragsvc) service disabled.

Once the service was set back to the default start type (Manual) also Edit-DPMDiskAllocation has worked.

Best Regards

Michael 

Monday, August 21, 2017 8:43 PM
  • I was provided a powershell from MS called ResizeReplica-v1.1.ps1 and it enumerates data sources and lets you expand (thin provisioned) the sizes...
    Friday, January 25, 2019 9:59 PM
  • Can you share the provided script?  I can find version 1 here 

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/System-Center-Blog/How-to-increase-DPM-2016-replica-when-using-Modern-Backup/ba-p/351818

Sassan Karai

Tuesday, April 30, 2019 3:33 PM