Proclarity DashBoard with charts Gauges RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, It would like to know if it exists some way to use chart of gauge in Proclarity 6.3 (it wanted to place in dashboard), or to use ChartFX Gauge for ProClarity or Dundas Chart Gauge

Att..

Rafael Veiga

Friday, February 15, 2008 3:05 PM

Answers

• You are correct, ProClarity does not have a gauge chart feature.  You may visualize KPIs with gauges, but it is not a charting option out of the box.  Again, you could write a plug-in that would provide this functionality.

A bit off the subject, there are experts in data vizualization who would propose that gauges are actually a less than optimal way of understanding data (Stephen Few would be one name who comes to mind).  You can find some of his thoughts here.  Stephen actually also suggests that pie charts are not particularly necessary either, but I don't know that the user community would agree on that point.

Oh, and please don't worry about your English.  It's much better than my Portuguese. ;-)

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 1:14 AM

All replies

• Rafael Veiga de Oliveira,

ProClarity KPI designer allows you to create KPIs with gauges.  Also, ProClarity supports SSAS 2005 KPIs which have guages.  Our charting engine is ChartFX, but I'm not currently sure if we implement their guages or our own.  I'm unfamiliar with Dundas - maybe another user on this forum could elaborate.  Are you looking to customize a ProClarity Web Standard view with different guages to be used in Dashboard?

-Joey

Friday, February 15, 2008 9:33 PM
  • Hello,

As Joey mentioned, there are a couple of options in the current product set for you to represent your data in a gauge chart.  If you wish to support this in a ChartFx gauge or a Dundas Chart guage, you may wish to look into plug-ins for the ProClarity products.  I would recommend downloading the SDK and researching plug-ins.  Please let us know if you have questions.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 1:03 AM
  • Joey,

Thanks for answering my question, what I want and put some chart of gauges on my dashboard, and the ProClarity Professional Web 6.3 not found that option. We are switching from Microstrategy platform for Microsoft(SQL2005, SSAS and Proclarity) and Microstrategy have the option of creating chart for gauges to be presented in the dashboard, follows an example a dashboard with gauges of graphics.

Http://www.microstrategy8.com/DashboardGallery/Dashboards/RevenuePerformanceManagementDashboard.htm

I very much of the tools of BI that microsoft has, and I am impressed with the speed of SSAS with ProClarity.

Note: Sorry for my english, I am Brazilian ..

Thanks
    Rafael Veiga.

Saturday, February 16, 2008 3:07 PM
  • You are correct, ProClarity does not have a gauge chart feature.  You may visualize KPIs with gauges, but it is not a charting option out of the box.  Again, you could write a plug-in that would provide this functionality.

A bit off the subject, there are experts in data vizualization who would propose that gauges are actually a less than optimal way of understanding data (Stephen Few would be one name who comes to mind).  You can find some of his thoughts here.  Stephen actually also suggests that pie charts are not particularly necessary either, but I don't know that the user community would agree on that point.

Oh, and please don't worry about your English.  It's much better than my Portuguese. ;-)

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 1:14 AM
  • Thanks for the reply ..
    I am disappointed with Proclarity.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 7:10 PM