File server inventory for entire forest RRS feed

• Question

• I have to create File server inventory for my forest ( 25 child domains in this forest) and the servers as well configured DFS also..

Can anyone give me Powershell script or any command line things to capture it..

Thursday, January 25, 2018 4:08 PM

All replies

• We do not provide free scripts.  YOU must ask a question about a script you have written.

Here is the tool for inventorying the forest.  Search to fin many more like it: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=7826

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, January 25, 2018 4:17 PM
  • First, identify what it means by list of File Servers and looking through DFS namespaces. Find out how to know for sure list of required servers; how you would get that list in general/manually.

There are ample resources to search AD through PowerShell. Attempt some of them and come back here if you are stuck with your issue/error.

-KT

Thursday, January 25, 2018 7:27 PM
  • I am using below script to get File services and DFS role installed server list but I am getting below error message...

$computernames = Get-Content -Path "C:\Users\gauravparashar\Desktop\Fileserver\serverlist.txt"

$Results = foreach( $computer in $computernames ){
    Get-WindowsFeature -Name FileAndStorage-Services -ComputerName $computer |
    Where-Object { $_.Installed } |
    Select-Object -Property @{ Name = 'ComputerName'; Expression = {
    $computer } }, Installed
    }
    $Results |

Format-Table -Autosize  -Wrap

Monday, February 19, 2018 8:50 AM
  • Please read the error message.  It tells you exactly what the issue is and exactly where you mistake is.  Your version of PowerShell is too old for that parameter.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, February 19, 2018 8:58 AM
  • -ComputerName

Specifies a list of available rrsandf_plural from the specified remote computer that is running Windows Server 2012 R2.

\_(ツ)_/

Monday, February 19, 2018 8:59 AM