Microsoft Software Install Discs Won't Run on my DVD RRS feed

• Question

• I had to replace my boot HDD, then recover OS via Recovery DVDs.  Tried to re-install Office Pro 2010 from DVD, the drive spooled up, then just stopped without starting the installation program.  Went to Windows Explorer to see if I could copy the contents of the DVD to another media, and the installation DVD did not appear like it was even mounted.  I have been successful at loading non-Microsoft software via my DVD-ROM drive such as Quicken 2012 and TurboTax 2011.  However, none of my Microsoft software will re-install.  I don't think this is a security authorization issue.  I am wondering if there's jetsam and flotsam hanging around from the way I recovered the OS that may be causing the problem.  I was able to load MSO 2007 Pro via disc.  However, I am more comfortable working with Office 2010.  Any ideas for correcting my problem?
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:44 PM

Answers

• After further investigation and tries with various tactics, I was eventually able to install Office 2010 64-bit, Visio 2010 64-bit, and Project 2010 64-bit from a USB Hard Disk Drive.  I ended up plugging the USB HDD into another PC, using its DVD/CD reader/burner to read the original install disc, copy them to the USB HDD.  Then installed the USB HDD into the PC I had been having trouble with, firing up the setup.exe files.  Everything installed as it should.  So, the only thing I can conclude is that there is something not right with the DVD/CD-ROM reader/burner in the rebuilt machine.  Even though it was successful at re-installing other programs, such as Intuit's TurboTax and Quicken; and, Hallmark Card Studio, it would not read the Microsoft discs properly.  I still have some work to do re-installing my original software (non-Microsoft stuff).  I suspect that the drive will work properly.  I will continue to passively look for a reason.  But for now, my problem has be resolved.  Thanks for the suggestions
    • Marked as answer by NittanySkiBum Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:31 PM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:31 PM

All replies

• Sounds more like the optical reader may have gone bad.  Even "high end" models aren't very expensive in the grand scheme of things, and many are not the worlds best made devices.  Nowadays with so many different formats and various bits of alternate hardware inside to handle them all it's not hard to imagine some parts going bad while others continue to work.

I hate to ask the obvious, but in the spirit of it possibly being a physical problem did you try blowing the dust out of it?  Re-seating its connectors?  Full power off/on cycle?

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my new eBook: Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:59 PM
  • Noel:  Thanks for the suggestion.  I too first suspected a faulty drive.  However, it works just fine for all the other functions I have tried to use it for since re-building the machine.  I have loaded other applications (non-MS), and have burned CDs and DVDs.  The discs this thing won't handle are newer Microsoft ones.  Have tried to re-installed W7, MSO-2010, Visio-2010, and Project-2010.  All spooled up, then just stopped; and, don't show anything in Windows Explorer to the drive.  MSO-2007 installed just fine.  Go figure.
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 11:44 PM
  • After further investigation and tries with various tactics, I was eventually able to install Office 2010 64-bit, Visio 2010 64-bit, and Project 2010 64-bit from a USB Hard Disk Drive.  I ended up plugging the USB HDD into another PC, using its DVD/CD reader/burner to read the original install disc, copy them to the USB HDD.  Then installed the USB HDD into the PC I had been having trouble with, firing up the setup.exe files.  Everything installed as it should.  So, the only thing I can conclude is that there is something not right with the DVD/CD-ROM reader/burner in the rebuilt machine.  Even though it was successful at re-installing other programs, such as Intuit's TurboTax and Quicken; and, Hallmark Card Studio, it would not read the Microsoft discs properly.  I still have some work to do re-installing my original software (non-Microsoft stuff).  I suspect that the drive will work properly.  I will continue to passively look for a reason.  But for now, my problem has be resolved.  Thanks for the suggestions
    • Marked as answer by NittanySkiBum Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:31 PM
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:31 PM