none
Deploying a Scheduled task in Group Policy Manager for Windows 10

Question

• We have recently begun deploying Windows 10 in our domain and we ran into an issue with a scheduled task we had previously created in Group Policy not getting applied to our Windows 10 machines. Our scheduled task has been working fine in Windows 7 but will not appear in Windows 10.  When I run a gpresult command I don't even see the scheduled task getting applied. We have copied the latest Administrative Templates (.admx) files for Windows 10 to our Domain Controller but it still is not working. I did notice that in Group Policy Manager you have 2 different options for Scheduled Tasks (shown below). Does anyone know the desired option for a Windows 10 machine?

I was going to try using the 'Scheduled Task (At least Windows 7)' option in our domain Group Policy as a test to try to get it to work on a Windows 10 machine however I ran into another issue when setting up the schedule. I need to have the scheduled task repeat every 4 hours for a duration of 16 hours however it does not allow me to enter this under Advanced Settings. I am restricted to the predefined options as shown in the screenshot below. In our existing scheduled task, which works in Windows 7, we were able to specify it to repeat every 4 hours. It seems under the 'Scheduled Task (At least Windows 7)' option you can not do this. Has anyone else run into this issue with deploying Windows 10 scheduled tasks in an Enterprise environment and were you ever able to get it to work?

Wednesday, May 18, 2016 9:39 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    >> Does anyone know the desired option for a Windows 10 machine?
    Please choose the second one:Scheduled Task (At least Windows 7)
    For computers that are running Windows Server® 2008 R2, Windows® 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista®, Windows Server 2003, or Windows XP, Scheduled Task preference items let you create, replace, update, and delete scheduled tasks and their associated properties.
    For computers that are running Windows Server® 2012 or Windows® 8 and later, Scheduled Task (At least Windows 7) preference items let you create, replace, update, and delete tasks and their associated properties.
    However, if you want to have scheduled task repeat every 4 hours for a duration of 16 hours, you may need to edit it manually. Please refer to the similar thread as below and have a try its solution
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3957c609-2b2f-466b-ace1-46f2312d4c32/task-scheduler-over-gpo-repeat-12-minute?forum=winserverGP
    In addition, you may check what scheduled task you want to run on windows10. Two of the actions that were formerly available in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 have been deprecated in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 and later. If you attempt to apply either the Send an email or the Display a message preference item, nothing will happen.
    Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 19, 2016 6:07 AM
  • Hi,
    Please have a try:
    Note the GUID of the policy in question,
    Switch over to another DC’s SYSVOL folders
    Browse to the Policies\ {GUID}\User\Microsoft\IEAK folder
    Open the install.ins file and edit the following section:
    [Security Imports]
    ImportSecZones=1
    Set this value to 0,
    Save the file and try again.
    Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 30, 2016 2:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    >> Does anyone know the desired option for a Windows 10 machine?
    Please choose the second one:Scheduled Task (At least Windows 7)
    For computers that are running Windows Server® 2008 R2, Windows® 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista®, Windows Server 2003, or Windows XP, Scheduled Task preference items let you create, replace, update, and delete scheduled tasks and their associated properties.
    For computers that are running Windows Server® 2012 or Windows® 8 and later, Scheduled Task (At least Windows 7) preference items let you create, replace, update, and delete tasks and their associated properties.
    However, if you want to have scheduled task repeat every 4 hours for a duration of 16 hours, you may need to edit it manually. Please refer to the similar thread as below and have a try its solution
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3957c609-2b2f-466b-ace1-46f2312d4c32/task-scheduler-over-gpo-repeat-12-minute?forum=winserverGP
    In addition, you may check what scheduled task you want to run on windows10. Two of the actions that were formerly available in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 have been deprecated in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 and later. If you attempt to apply either the Send an email or the Display a message preference item, nothing will happen.
    Regards,
    Wendy

Thursday, May 19, 2016 6:07 AM
  • Thanks Wendy for the guidance. I tried following the solution in the link you provided by editing the xml file manually at \\<<domain_controller>>\sysvol\<<domain>>\Policies\<<GPO Unique ID>>\Machine\Preferences\ScheduledTasks.  However, now the settings for the GPO cannot be viewed . It shows the error message below when I try to review the changes.

Thursday, May 19, 2016 12:35 PM
  • Hi,
    Please have a try the follow these steps to fix it.
    1. Edit the GPO, and browse to User Configuration > Windows Settings > Internet Explorer Maintenance > Security > Security Zones and Content Ratings
    2. Change the setting from “Import the current security zones and privacy settings” to “Do not customize security zones and privacy”, then exit out of the GPO editor
    3. Close Group Policy Management MMC, then reopen it
    4. Go back to the GPO in question and click the “Settings” tab again
    Regards,
    Wendy

Monday, May 23, 2016 2:02 AM
  • Unfortunately, I do not see the "Internet Explorer Maintenance" option in my Group Policy Editor under User Configuration > Windows Settings.
    Tuesday, May 24, 2016 3:24 PM
  • Hi,
    Please have a try:
    Note the GUID of the policy in question,
    Switch over to another DC’s SYSVOL folders
    Browse to the Policies\ {GUID}\User\Microsoft\IEAK folder
    Open the install.ins file and edit the following section:
    [Security Imports]
    ImportSecZones=1
    Set this value to 0,
    Save the file and try again.
    Regards,
    Wendy

Monday, May 30, 2016 2:42 AM
  • Using 'Scheduled Task (At least Windows 7)' option is working on our Windows 10 machines. We decided to just run the scheduled task once a day so that we would not have to manually modify any files on the DC.
    Tuesday, June 7, 2016 11:15 AM