UAG - TMG snapin cannot load RRS feed

• Question

• I've installed UAG2010 RTM on a Windows Server 2008R2 box, and after the installation I tried to start FTMG console to configure the firewall policy, however the following error occured:

---------------------------
    Microsoft Management Console
    MMC cannot open the file C:\Program Files\Microsoft Forefront Threat Management Gateway\msisa.msc.

This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file.
    OK  

Any ideas? :)
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 9:11 PM

Answers

• The installation of UAG includes an installation of TMG, and the installation process is well tested and works well. It's still a complicated system with multiple possible failure points, so I can tell you this - it SHOULD work, and DOES work for most. I would suggest you retry the installation on a clean machine, and make sure the machine meets the various criteria for hardware and software. Here's a short list of things to check:

1. Make sure that you have the Final (RTM) version of UAG - build 1101.
    2. Make sure that you have the Final (RTM) version of Win2008 R2
    3. Make sure that your computer meets hardware requirements (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd903051.aspx)
    4. Make sure that your computer is not a domain controller
    5. If computer is domain member , make sure the user is a domain member too, with admin privileges on the computer
    6. If you have had a previous TMG or UAG product installed, make sure you uninstall them first.
    7. Make sure the installation has been performed from a drop located on the local hard drive or DVD drive, and not from the network
    8. Make sure no other setup process is running concurrently
    9. Make sure the Windows Firewall service is on (the firewall itself can be off, but the service must be started)
    10. Make sure all current windows updates have been installed
    11. If the setup has been extracted from an ISO image, make sure the extraction was done correctly, and the filenames has not been truncated.
    12. Clean up the system temp folder before starting the installation.

If, after all this, the same problem occurs, the installation logs might provide a clue. The UAG setup logs would be at %ProgramData%\Microsoft\UAG\Logs and the TMG setup logs at  %windir%\Temp

If the logs do not contain info that helps, or you are unable to decypher them, please open a support case with Microsoft CSS and we will investigate the issues.

Ben Ari
    Microsoft CSS IAG Support
    Sammamish, WA
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:24 PM
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:24 PM

All replies

• Update: I could repro the issue in a virtual environment, so this maybe a bug or some... :)
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 6:06 PM
  • It happened the same to me but installing the RTM (licensed) version of TMG (without UAG). The installation of the Evaluation version of TMG in the same server succeeded without errors. It seems a weird behaviour
    // Raúl - I love this game
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 9:34 AM
  • TMG RTM verison worked for me before. :) However until we found a solution for this problem, I installed TMG management console to another computer to manage the UAG instance.
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Monday, December 28, 2009 5:33 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Othorvath Tuesday, December 29, 2009 2:39 PM
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 11:35 AM
  • It's not an answer just a workaround, I'm still waiting for the official statement and also I'm curious about why the SQLExpress installer is corrupt in the RTM media. :)
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 2:39 PM
  • Hi,
      Which media are you using to do the install?  I've done several installs with the UAG (RTM) Evaluation media and i have not had any issues with the SQL or TMG install.  Was the Windows 2008 R2 system a fresh install just for this install of UAG, or had you previously installed TMG or one of the UAG beta's on it? Before running the UAG installation did you update the system with the latest available windows updates? 
    Regards,
    Dan Herzog
    Microsoft CSS IAG/UAG Support
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 11:49 PM
  • Hi,

TMG RTM was installed previously on the server, but I removed it correctly before. The OS is up to date.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 3:18 AM
  • Was the TMG install the RTM Eval or the fully licenced RTM?  I ask so that when trying to reproduce this problem we'll have the right set of steps and correct enviornment.
    Regards,
    Dan Herzog
    Microsoft CSS IAG/UAG Support
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 7:01 AM
  • Hi Dan. For me the problem appeared when installing TMG (only TMG, not UAG but maybe the installer is sharing the package). My version was a licensed one that I downloaded from my Technet Suscription. After trying several times I decided to try an evaluation version (all previous betas, RCs and son on had worked fine) and that one did work. All the testign was done on fresh install of the o.s (W2k8 R2). The message error appeared when launching the tmg admin console from programs group in the start menu. When launching an mmc and load the snap-in I could see the admin tree on the left side of the pane but the right side was empty no matter what node in the left selected.

Happy New Year !!
    // Raúl - I love this game
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 8:22 AM
  • Same here, however TMG (VL from licensing) had worked for me before I installed UAG.
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 1:05 PM
  • Any idea on this? This issue occured every UAG instance I have installed so far.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 2:29 PM
  • The installation of UAG includes an installation of TMG, and the installation process is well tested and works well. It's still a complicated system with multiple possible failure points, so I can tell you this - it SHOULD work, and DOES work for most. I would suggest you retry the installation on a clean machine, and make sure the machine meets the various criteria for hardware and software. Here's a short list of things to check:

1. Make sure that you have the Final (RTM) version of UAG - build 1101.
    2. Make sure that you have the Final (RTM) version of Win2008 R2
    3. Make sure that your computer meets hardware requirements (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd903051.aspx)
    4. Make sure that your computer is not a domain controller
    5. If computer is domain member , make sure the user is a domain member too, with admin privileges on the computer
    6. If you have had a previous TMG or UAG product installed, make sure you uninstall them first.
    7. Make sure the installation has been performed from a drop located on the local hard drive or DVD drive, and not from the network
    8. Make sure no other setup process is running concurrently
    9. Make sure the Windows Firewall service is on (the firewall itself can be off, but the service must be started)
    10. Make sure all current windows updates have been installed
    11. If the setup has been extracted from an ISO image, make sure the extraction was done correctly, and the filenames has not been truncated.
    12. Clean up the system temp folder before starting the installation.

If, after all this, the same problem occurs, the installation logs might provide a clue. The UAG setup logs would be at %ProgramData%\Microsoft\UAG\Logs and the TMG setup logs at  %windir%\Temp

If the logs do not contain info that helps, or you are unable to decypher them, please open a support case with Microsoft CSS and we will investigate the issues.

Ben Ari
    Microsoft CSS IAG Support
    Sammamish, WA
    • Marked as answer by Erez Benari Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:24 PM
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:24 PM
  • Ok, I figured it out. The problem was that all of my servers previously contained RTM version of Forefront TMG. Despite of the clean and successful uninstall, just didn't work after that, this also applies to DA. I could repro both issues on any machine which installed previously with TMG. So as I see there is some conflict with previous DA and TMG configurations, which can't be corrected without a reinstall...
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 4:23 PM