none
DNS Name for OWA and Mail Delivery RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am just after clarification for a new Exchange 2010 setup in terms of DNS names.

We are using a cloud based relay service for AV/Spam checking.  We are also configuring OWA/OctiveSync and Autodiscovery.

Do I need a seperate DNS record for both mail delivery and OWA access?.  My thoughts are I require

Webmil.domain.com - OWA

Mail.domain.com - Mail delivery

Auodiscover.domain.com - Autodiscover

I was wondering whether I could use one domain name for mail delivery and OWA?.  I thought I may be able to but they will be pointing to different IP addresses, one for the relay server and one for TMG for publishing OWA and ActiveSync?

Thanks

Saturday, January 7, 2012 11:12 PM

Answers

• You will need seperate names for mail delivery and OWA since you are using a cloud based AV/AS service.  You are right, they will be pointing to different IPs.  Mail (and your MX record) to AV/AS service and webmail/autodiscover to your TMG publishing rule.
    Tim Harrington | MVP: Exchange | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010, MCITP: Lync 2010, MCITP: Server 2008, MCTS: OCS | Blog: http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com | Twitter: @twharrington
    • Edited by TWHarrington Saturday, January 7, 2012 11:49 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Castinlu Monday, January 9, 2012 5:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by Clarkeyi Monday, January 9, 2012 9:29 AM
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 11:48 PM
  • hi,

I also think you should seperate your names for owa and mail delivery.

Webmil.domain.com - OWA   This is only for users to logon OWA

Mail.domain.com - Mail delivery   This will help you locate the cloud server,then your email routing will though the server.

thanks,

castin

Monday, January 9, 2012 5:28 AM

All replies

• You will need seperate names for mail delivery and OWA since you are using a cloud based AV/AS service.  You are right, they will be pointing to different IPs.  Mail (and your MX record) to AV/AS service and webmail/autodiscover to your TMG publishing rule.
    Tim Harrington | MVP: Exchange | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010, MCITP: Lync 2010, MCITP: Server 2008, MCTS: OCS | Blog: http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com | Twitter: @twharrington
    • Edited by TWHarrington Saturday, January 7, 2012 11:49 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Castinlu Monday, January 9, 2012 5:25 AM
    Saturday, January 7, 2012 11:48 PM
  • hi,

I also think you should seperate your names for owa and mail delivery.

Webmil.domain.com - OWA   This is only for users to logon OWA

Mail.domain.com - Mail delivery   This will help you locate the cloud server,then your email routing will though the server.

thanks,

castin

Monday, January 9, 2012 5:28 AM