none
Resource needed to look up IE Version, Update Versions, and corresponding KB number RRS feed

• Question

• I need a table or some other resource I can use to cross walk an IE version with its' update version and related KB number. Does such a resource exist?

I've been doing a lot of searching for something like this, but so far I've come up empty.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 7:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

you update history will tell you that. Win7 is Start>Control Panel>Windows update>Update History

The updates for IE for the past year have been mainly security related... If you have a version that is not working as expected it probably contains an out of date ActiveX control(Flash and shockwave flash), java applet , Quicktime, or other ActiveX component. see https://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/itpro/internet-explorer/ie11-deploy-guide/out-of-date-activex-control-blocking

IF possible include links to any websites that you are having problems with your questions.

One would not uninstall a critical security update to just get a website to work.

Regards.

Rob^_^

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 10:20 PM
  • Hi FusionHammer,

According to your description, we could check the IE version and related KB in the “About IE” option. Please refer to the link below about information about Internet Explorer versions.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/969393

Also we could check from the update history in the Control Panel and the official KB list.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 3:04 AM
  • Hi FusionHammer,

According to your description, we could check the IE version and related KB in the “About IE” option. Please refer to the link below about information about Internet Explorer versions.

Also we could check from the update history in the Control Panel and the official KB list.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Yes, I'm familiar with checking the version information on the About IE dialog. However, what I need is a reference that has all the versions of IE 11 that include the version number, the version update number and it's related KB.

The problem I'm trying to solve is there are many times I have the IE version number and I need to discover what the related version update number is. I don't always have access to the About IE dialog information. For example, I'm giving IE version number 11.0.9600.18499. I want to reference a resource, like a table, that would tell me IE version 11.0.9600.18499 is related to update version 11.0.36 (KB3191492). Does Microsoft or someone else have a resource like this?

I'm assuming these two version numbers (version and update version) must correspond with each other. Am I wrong?

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 6:06 PM
  • Hi FusionHammer,

Yes, I'm familiar with checking the version information on the About IE dialog. However, what I need is a reference that has all the versions of IE 11 that include the version number, the version update number and it's related KB.

The problem I'm trying to solve is there are many times I have the IE version number and I need to discover what the related version update number is. I don't always have access to the About IE dialog information. For example, I'm giving IE version number 11.0.9600.18499. I want to reference a resource, like a table, that would tell me IE version 11.0.9600.18499 is related to update version 11.0.36 (KB3191492). Does Microsoft or someone else have a resource like this?

I'm assuming these two version numbers (version and update version) must correspond with each other. Am I wrong?

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Home.aspx

Rob^_^

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 7:32 PM
  • Thanks, Rob. Unfortunately, this site isn't giving me what I'm looking for. For example, if I search on IE version 11.0.9600.18499, it doesn't return update version 11.0.36 (KB3191492).
    Thursday, January 19, 2017 2:34 PM
  • Hi,

Post back with a screen shot of the IE About box and state your windows version... the builds are different for Win7,8 and 10. If your deploying IE on your domain network you are only interested in the Update version as stated on the IE About box. The version number tells you the build number of the OEM or RTW release + IEAK codes of the license agreement.

I cannot think of a reason why you need to know the update versions timeline for a particular OS release of IE11.... For the past year and a half only security updates have been released. Perhaps you just need to re-run IEAK to update your IE distribution package and then run windows update. Then you can see the Update dependencies that will bring your PC's up to the current Update version for the OS version you are deploying too?

this Wikipedia article has the version timeline at the bottom of the page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_11

Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, January 19, 2017 10:15 PM
  • Hi, I see you have re-worded and re-posted your question at

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/41747227/where-do-i-go-to-find-details-of-changes-to-ie-between-versions

the links for the IE documentation about IE compatibility by version is

MSDN - IE Compatibility changes by version

for  website development purposes you can use the lookup tables at caniuse.com

This forum is for

Questions regarding Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10 and Internet Explorer 11 for the IT Pro Audience. Topics covered are: Installation, Deployment, Configuration, Security, Group Policy, Management questions. Include with your questions links to your website or a jsfiddle mashup that shows the coding issue you are facing.

Rob^_^

Thursday, January 19, 2017 10:25 PM
  • Thanks, Rob. I think I need to do a little more research. Judging from what you said regarding the make up of the IE version number, my thoughts of there being a direct correlation between the version and update version are a little off. Thanks for your help.

As a side note, I didn't re-post this inquiry on any other site, so the stackoverflow post you came across isn't mine.

Thursday, January 19, 2017 10:49 PM
  • I need a table or some other resource I can use to cross walk an IE version with its' update version and related KB number. Does such a resource exist?

Yes.  You just have to realize that IE updates are mostly about security, so all you need to do is find such lists.  I don't know what the current state of it is but  MBSA  used to provide such a list.  The last time I checked it was much harder to make use of, e.g. it grew unweildy.  Before that there was HFNetChk by Shavlik which was really simple to use.  The original authors may have a product that still does this, e.g. they may have solved some of the usability issues associated with the new MBSA implementation for you (for a price).

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, January 22, 2017 2:29 AM
    Answerer