What's With Removing Titles from Title Bars? RRS feed

• General discussion

• The title bar in Windows Explorer is blank.  Now I see the title bar in the IE9 beta is blank.  Clearly this is thought to be the wave of the future by someone at Microsoft... 

Why?  Too much cognitive load for the people who think up features for Windows in the back of a taxi?  What's the ultimate destiny here?  Windows as a YouTube player exclusively?

Some of us actually want to WORK with our computers.

I don't know about you, but I actually DO use multiple windows - sometimes lots of them - and I DO look at the window titles to know that I'm choosing or looking at the right window.

At least two freeware add-on apps (ClassicShell and ShellFolderFix) have corrected this behavior for Windows Explorer, so that the folder is shown up there.  Perhaps someone will make a similar tweak to IE9 when it comes out...  But should we have to have a 3rd party app to show titles in the title bar?

Please, Microsoft, at least provide an option so that if we really want a title in the title bar we can have it.

Am I the only one who thinks this "modern" initiative to remove the actual title from window title bars is a bad idea?  The Taskbar button has the title, but not the window...  Does this make sense to anyone?

-Noel

• Changed type Juke Chou Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:26 AM
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 7:45 PM

All replies

• I'm not a fan of the current layout either. The entire bar contains nothing but the "_ 0 X" buttons, it's just lost space. Why not put the tabs and/or address bar there for IE? That would make me gain about 5% space on the screen :) Not so important on my desktop with dual 24" monitors, but rather important on my 13" laptop.
    Monday, February 14, 2011 8:54 AM
  • I guess I don't understand the issue here.

In any explorer window the title is in the address area. (e.g. Computer > Disk C:)

I use multiple windows as well and have not had any problem identifying them.

In IE, it is fairly obvious that it is IE without the need of a title.

What am I missing?

Monday, February 14, 2011 5:04 PM
  • What am I missing?

Efficient use of display real estate ;-) 
    Monday, February 14, 2011 5:20 PM
  • Turn off tabbed browsing and you won't think it's fairly obvious.  The page title doesn't appear anywhere under that condition.  And while you may not prefer to turn off tabbed browsing, it is still a provided option, and so the system should work in that condition.

But a more fundamental issue:  Windows have had title bars forever.  It's where many people look to see what the window is about.

Now, SOME newer OS windows don't have titles, for no obvious reason.  It's not like the overall UI has been changed to eliminate all titles, they're just not there in a few selected apps...  Clearly Microsoft must think the title is no longer fashionable.  Problem is, some people striving to do real work still expect to see the window title.  I often keep several windows open, slightly offset from one another, so I can see the titles.

At least Microsoft should make it a configurable option for a version or two, and publish a new guideline telling us all that we're moving away from titles and what we should do/use instead.  When someone turns on the "Show Title in Title Bar" option, put the same thing that's in the Taskbar button in there.

-Noel

Monday, February 14, 2011 5:24 PM
  • Well eveyone is entitled to their opinion. Have you provided feedback directly to Microsoft?

BTW, I do work with my computer, I just choose to do it in a different way then you do.

Monday, February 14, 2011 5:54 PM
  • Of course I have told them.

And I didn't mean to imply you don't work with your computer.  But a lot of people don't, and I suspect a lot of what is being changed is to make the system act like an entertainment system and work more like a TV with remote than a computer.

I understand change, and I mostly embrace it, especially when it makes sense.  But in some cases I still prefer to do things differently than the defaults - we all do - and before the current version of the OS Microsoft usually provided configuration items to allow us to make choices.  That just seems obviously missing in this case.

Let's get one thing straight:  I am being forced to do without a UI element I actively use.  I am not proposing that you should be forced to live with Window Titles you don't need nor use.  I am proposing the choice be provided to us.

For what it's worth, I have tools that re-enable the title in my Windows Explorer windows.  I'm sure such tools will be written for IE9 after a time as well.  I guess that's just how people who think having window titles is a Good Thing will have to work.

-Noel

Monday, February 14, 2011 7:11 PM
  • Noel, you have right that you ask, and i mean that the user must have choices and not ready solutions, for organise and do a real personalization.

---------------------------------

i have also send feedback to microsoft about similar things on past and i have propose to them to give us more choices. and those choices could be selected to categories that could add to 'Folder Options' small window 'View' section.[or to a new 'advanced' section]

i dont understand why microsoft dont do those simple things.

[also preview pane should be at top not at the right, as pictures looks better and bigger at top, and the text preview at top use all the width of the window. and Why not having each part of explorer its keyboard shortcut (only preview pane has Alt+P , and menu F10) , so very ease to appear , disappear folderband, details pane, Navigation pane ]

===============

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 12:00 AM
  • Hi,

If you find any inconvenience or have any suggestions, please submit your feedback to our Product Feedback Team : http://mymfe.microsoft.com/Windows%20%207/Feedback.aspx?formID=195  

You can also visit the Feedback and Comments Forum to discuss the product with other community members.

Thanks for regarding Microsoft products, your feedbacks could help us become better in the feature.

I will change this thread type to discussion.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, February 24, 2011 8:24 AM