none
One Resource with Multiple Standard Rates RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

How can an enterprise resource have a Standard Rate of $100 for one project, and at the same time, the same enterprise resource have a Standard Rate of $150 for a different project?

Using the rate tables is not an option as there are only 5 available per resource. Our resources could work on upto 20 projects a year.

Regards,

Shaun Dicker, PMP
    Project in Practice Blog. http://shaundicker.com/blog | Web. http://about.me/shaundicker

Saturday, November 5, 2011 9:42 AM

Answers

• Hi Shaun!
    As Dale Howard sad you could not manage project cost by pointing different Resource Rates for different projects (enterprise resources have limited number of rates).It can be done through VBA programming as Rod Gill briefly described. I suppose you expect to design the following "finances" for each project:
    1. "ProjectPrice" value which is calculated like = ProjectResourceRate*Work (where ProjectResourceRate - individual resource rate for given project). ProjectPrice - price of your project for Customer.
    2. "ProjectCost" value which is calculated like =ResourceRate*Work (where ResourceRate - "Standart rate" MS project field which is the same for all projects and usually treated as "internal resource rate" of your company resource)
    3. "Gross margin" - the differences between "ProjectPrice" and "ProjectCost".
    All three values you would like to see over the time, - "timephased" as it called in terms of MS project.

Sometime ago I put the above solution into production and I would like you take into account the following:
    1. ProjectCost - is not a problem. You have it "by default" as Cost field
    2. To calculate ProjectPrice you need to keep ProjectResourceRate anywhere. You may use external database (as Rod Gill proposed). I used "number" enterprise task field (local number task field is also suitable) keeping ProjectResourceRate on assignment level and having possibility to set different ProjectResourceRate for different tasks. It is not so difficult.
    3. The worst task - to get timephased "ProjectPrice". Unfortunately, we have only limited set of timephased fields (Work, Cost, Baseline0-10 Work/Cost) and Cost is used for ProjectCost. So, no standard way to design the solution. To get this working we have done huge VBA (and some on server side) programming to persuade Baseline Work/Cost fields work in the way as "ProjectPrice" required.
    Overall work on programming-testing-report_designing tasks was about 750-800 hours.
    Hope this help !

Vadim Gerya, PMP

• Edited by Vadim Gerya Sunday, November 6, 2011 9:26 PM
    • Proposed as answer by shaundicker Monday, November 7, 2011 5:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Shaun Dicker Wednesday, November 9, 2011 5:28 AM
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 9:08 PM

All replies

• Shaun --

As you have already discovered, you are limited to only 5 cost rates per resource.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Saturday, November 5, 2011 3:29 PM
  • There is a work around with VBA I've used before. I've stored the rates for each resource for each project in a SQL Server table. A macro in Project then reads in the rates into the open project for each resource. This can either be called automatically on project open or by a macro button on the ribbon. This second option is probably better as you don't work with costs every time you open Project.

Project Pro lets you change rates but resets them I think on re-opening the next time. You would need to confirm Publishing preserves the correct costs (i can't remember at the moment!)

This method was also useful for clients who diddn't want clients or others to see rates charged, so a macro read correct rates and an auto_close macro reset to zero.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Saturday, November 5, 2011 10:59 PM
  • Hi Shaun!
    As Dale Howard sad you could not manage project cost by pointing different Resource Rates for different projects (enterprise resources have limited number of rates).It can be done through VBA programming as Rod Gill briefly described. I suppose you expect to design the following "finances" for each project:
    1. "ProjectPrice" value which is calculated like = ProjectResourceRate*Work (where ProjectResourceRate - individual resource rate for given project). ProjectPrice - price of your project for Customer.
    2. "ProjectCost" value which is calculated like =ResourceRate*Work (where ResourceRate - "Standart rate" MS project field which is the same for all projects and usually treated as "internal resource rate" of your company resource)
    3. "Gross margin" - the differences between "ProjectPrice" and "ProjectCost".
    All three values you would like to see over the time, - "timephased" as it called in terms of MS project.

Sometime ago I put the above solution into production and I would like you take into account the following:
    1. ProjectCost - is not a problem. You have it "by default" as Cost field
    2. To calculate ProjectPrice you need to keep ProjectResourceRate anywhere. You may use external database (as Rod Gill proposed). I used "number" enterprise task field (local number task field is also suitable) keeping ProjectResourceRate on assignment level and having possibility to set different ProjectResourceRate for different tasks. It is not so difficult.
    3. The worst task - to get timephased "ProjectPrice". Unfortunately, we have only limited set of timephased fields (Work, Cost, Baseline0-10 Work/Cost) and Cost is used for ProjectCost. So, no standard way to design the solution. To get this working we have done huge VBA (and some on server side) programming to persuade Baseline Work/Cost fields work in the way as "ProjectPrice" required.
    Overall work on programming-testing-report_designing tasks was about 750-800 hours.
    Hope this help !

Vadim Gerya, PMP

• Edited by Vadim Gerya Sunday, November 6, 2011 9:26 PM
    • Proposed as answer by shaundicker Monday, November 7, 2011 5:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by Shaun Dicker Wednesday, November 9, 2011 5:28 AM
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 9:08 PM
  • Thank you for the advice! I will start investigating how we can achieve this with custom development.

Regards,

Shaun Dicker, PMP
    Project in Practice Blog. http://shaundicker.com/blog | Web. http://about.me/shaundicker

Monday, November 7, 2011 5:49 AM