Windows Backup failes with 0x81000032 error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

Backup failes with error 0x81000032 Backup skipped backing up system image because one of the critical volumes cannot be included for backup. How can I find out which volume the message is referring to and what to about it. In the event viewer I see no other related messages.

Sunday, December 9, 2012 4:25 PM

Answers

• Hi,

First, please check whether you are backup your file to a now NTFS volume, if so, you may encounter the error code 0x81000032. You can refer to this thread:

Error code 0x81000032

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/c0ad7d57-63df-4969-be3c-0040f96455a4/

If not, skipping files error in Windows Backup may occur if either of the following scenarios is ture.

1)A source volume is missing.

2)A source volume has low disk space.

3)A source volume is Bitlocker encrypted.

4)A source volume has the dirty bit set due to a disk error.

5)Files were skipped during the backup.

6)Any other cause of volumes or files being skipped.

To troubleshoot this kind of issue, I would like to propose the following suggestions:

1. Run chkdsk /f to check the hard disk errors in elevated command.

2. Run sfc /scannow to scan the system files and automatically fix corrupted ones.

If the issue persists, please look in the following location to view backup log files and note what files are skipped. 

%windir%\Logs\WindowsBackup

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, December 24, 2012 8:28 AM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 6:32 AM

All replies

• Please provide us with your Event Viewer administrative logs by following these steps:

Click Start Menu
    Type eventvwr into Search programs and files (do not hit enter)
    Right click eventvwr.exe and click Run as administrator
    Expand Custom Views
    Click Administrative Events
    Right click Administrative Events
    Save all Events in Custom View As...
    Save them in a folder where you will remember which folder and save as Errors.evtx
    Go to where you saved Errors.evtx
    Right click Errors.evtx -> send to -> compressed (zipped) folder
    Upload the .zip file here (if you can) to skydrive or a file sharing service

MS-MVP 2010, 2011, 2012 Team ZigZag

Sunday, December 9, 2012 11:26 PM
  • Hi,

First, please check whether you are backup your file to a now NTFS volume, if so, you may encounter the error code 0x81000032. You can refer to this thread:

Error code 0x81000032

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/c0ad7d57-63df-4969-be3c-0040f96455a4/

If not, skipping files error in Windows Backup may occur if either of the following scenarios is ture.

1)A source volume is missing.

2)A source volume has low disk space.

3)A source volume is Bitlocker encrypted.

4)A source volume has the dirty bit set due to a disk error.

5)Files were skipped during the backup.

6)Any other cause of volumes or files being skipped.

To troubleshoot this kind of issue, I would like to propose the following suggestions:

1. Run chkdsk /f to check the hard disk errors in elevated command.

2. Run sfc /scannow to scan the system files and automatically fix corrupted ones.

If the issue persists, please look in the following location to view backup log files and note what files are skipped. 

%windir%\Logs\WindowsBackup

Hope this helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, December 24, 2012 8:28 AM
    Tuesday, December 11, 2012 6:32 AM
  • I have been trying for days to fix this problem. Tried all suggested fixes, I have 40GB free on both the disks I want to backup (of sizes 200GB and 362GB), I am trying to backup to a 2TB usb disk with 766GB free. All disks are NTFS, I have changed drive letters and names of backup disk and computers data partition. Ran "chkdsk /f" which required a reboot, ran "sfc /scannow". I have zipped and uploaded the Errors.evtx to a zipped file (fail.zip) although I have omitted 4 events, which were user profile service warnings which said " 1 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User" ...ect I omitted these as I was worried there may have been sensitive info in them. backup has worked fine until now. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/l1d1txpl19aq9yy/AACdRVCylOmTCnpOpAjmKdRGa Thanks, Harry

mountain climber

Monday, June 30, 2014 6:26 AM