App-V Reporting Issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

do you have any information or documentation on the reporting tool in App-V? Basically I want to be able to run detailed reports containing user and session information (App-v is not integrated with System Centre). The log level on the server has been changed but when the reports are run we don't get any user access information. The information seems to be in the server log file but not in the appv console.

any help greatly apprecieated!

Wednesday, September 2, 2009 10:57 AM

Answers

• Hi

@Matthew1980

Well, it might be that your clients are offline at all and therefor do not transfer information to the server. Do your clients get new applications when you publish them on the server?

@RichEDTS
    I've just seen that you asked the question also here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/appvserverandmanagement/thread/883dec46-608c-400d-b3ae-46671e4e97e7 ...
    . But to answer you: In App-V there is no way to determine if an application's EXE is installed on the client. If you are using MSIs to deploy virtual applications, you may be able to look for the MSIs on the client (I suppose SMS copies them there before they are installed). Also, if enumerating the list of Installed Application can be done, this would be a possible way (the list that you see in the "appwiz.cpl").
    You also could do a search on the Registry, because known App-V Applications are listed there (Machine or User hive). Anyway there are nor pre-defined templates for certain applications, so you would have to dfine the search terms for your own.
    In SCCM 2007 *R2*, reporting also includes virtual applications, because that version of SCCM is aware of them. But also here I think it is less a "look on a client and see waht it really has" but rather an "look on the client what it should have gotten by SCCM".

Falko
    • Marked as answer by Matthew1980 Thursday, September 10, 2009 1:39 PM
    Friday, September 4, 2009 8:56 PM

All replies

• The reports do not utilize the log file (sft-server.log) but they utilize the App-V Database, and Databas logging is incluenced by several options:
    Iin the used Provider Policy (usually its the Default Provider) / Provider Pipelin tab make sure that "Log Usage Information" is highlighted

Falko
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 6:13 PM
  • Hi Falko,

we already have this option selected?
    Thursday, September 3, 2009 12:14 PM
  • hey guys, does this tie into monitoring in any way? Similarly, we are implementing AppV with SCCM and need to be able to look in SMS or SCCM to view reports. Previoud with apps installed locally to the machine, we could go into SMS and serch on the application .exe and we would receive back a list of PCs. How is this done with Application Virtualization or is this not possible? Thanks.
    Friday, September 4, 2009 4:30 PM
  • Hi

@Matthew1980

Well, it might be that your clients are offline at all and therefor do not transfer information to the server. Do your clients get new applications when you publish them on the server?

@RichEDTS
    I've just seen that you asked the question also here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/appvserverandmanagement/thread/883dec46-608c-400d-b3ae-46671e4e97e7 ...
    . But to answer you: In App-V there is no way to determine if an application's EXE is installed on the client. If you are using MSIs to deploy virtual applications, you may be able to look for the MSIs on the client (I suppose SMS copies them there before they are installed). Also, if enumerating the list of Installed Application can be done, this would be a possible way (the list that you see in the "appwiz.cpl").
    You also could do a search on the Registry, because known App-V Applications are listed there (Machine or User hive). Anyway there are nor pre-defined templates for certain applications, so you would have to dfine the search terms for your own.
    In SCCM 2007 *R2*, reporting also includes virtual applications, because that version of SCCM is aware of them. But also here I think it is less a "look on a client and see waht it really has" but rather an "look on the client what it should have gotten by SCCM".

Falko
    • Marked as answer by Matthew1980 Thursday, September 10, 2009 1:39 PM
    Friday, September 4, 2009 8:56 PM