DVD Drive and Hard Drive issues. RRS feed

• Question

• Just got and installed Windows Vista Ultimate 32-Bit recently. However, I'm having a few issues. First off, I installed a new hard drive (Western Digital 500GB 7200RPM SATA) which I can see in BIOS as well as in Vista's device manager. However it doesn't show up in  My Computer, and it doesn't appear to be assigned a letter (like the hard drive with Vista is C: etc.). How would I go about making it show there?

Secondly, Vista doesn't pick up my CD/DVD Drive. In the device manager it shows up as "unknown device" with an "!" symbol under other devices (I think thats it, at least). It doesn't show up at all in My Computer or read any CDs/DVDs in Vista. Not sure what I need to do. It's a NEC 16X DVD+/-R DVD Burner Silver IDE Model ND-3540A.

Rest of the computer specs:

Windows Vista Ultimate 32-Bit
    AMD Athlon  64 X2 4400+
    nVidia 7800GTX
    Asus A8N-E
    OCZ Performance Series 2GB (512MB x 4)
    NEC 16X DVD+/-R DVD Burner Silver IDE Model ND-3540A (Drive it won't find)
    Seagate 250GB 7200RPM SATA (HDD with Vista on it)
    Western Digital 500GB 7200RPM SATA (HDD the won't show in My Computer)

Thanks for any help in advance. Besides these two issues, I have been enjoying Vista very much thus far!
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 9:04 PM

All replies

• 1st Issue:
    Try to format (via DOS or dos utilities) the HD, using a low level method if it's possible.

2nd Issue:
    Try to do a google search with key "driver NEC ND-3540A"; you'll find lots of links about device drivers (XP etc.) and firmwares. I think this way could fix your problem, maybe installing XP Drivers manually (*.inf)
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 10:08 PM
  • Thanks for the quick response.

1st Issue:
    I tried to using a low level format tool (Western Digital has an official one, but it's not compatible with Vista), however, it gave me a "Details are unavailable: Internal error" message.

2nd Issue:
    I found the NEC Drive Firmware Flash Utility, but when I went to run that it said: "Target NEC ND-3540A is not found correctly." As far as installing drivers manually, I could only find the .exe Firmware Flash Utility in relation to the NEC ND-3540A drives/firmwars.

Thanks again.
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 10:38 PM
  • Issue 1:
    Try to search other "low level format" tools, as always surfing the Net; then try to execute them on WinVista.

Issue 2:
    Have you set the master/slave jumper correctly (cd-rom, dvd, hd, etc.)?
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 2:00 AM
  • Issue 1:
    Resolved! Ended up formatting in Vista's Disk Management tool and it picked it up immediately. Thanks for the help!

Issue 2:
    Yeah, everything seems set correctly. I checked again. BIOS also picks the drive up fine, and I can boot from a CD. Still won't pick it up in Vista though, and trying to update has failed in my multiple attempts. I also don't think the drive is supported anymore, which means no future updates. Not really sure what to do from here, hoping I don't need to buy a new CD/DVD drive.
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 9:18 PM
  • Issue2:

"hoping I don't need to buy a new CD/DVD drive."
    I think yes ; this kind of problems (about device that are not supported) are quite difficult to resolve.

Have you the possibility to check about "Driver Details" (of the NEC) on Windows XP (maybe where it's correctly installed), via Device Manager?
    Thursday, June 14, 2007 9:45 PM
  • When updating any firmware, do not try it in vista. Most of the DVD drive manufactures have not released a Vista compatible update software.  I boot into safe mode and have no problems updating or flashing my dvd drive firmware.  Give this a try when flashing your drive and see if it helps

Glenn

Monday, July 2, 2007 5:29 PM