none
Computers self assign ips with the dhcp ips and i need to release and renew everyday RRS feed

• Question

• i ve a network of 400 pc .. some of them disconnects from the network and when i go check i see that the network card has the self signed ip 169.x.x.x and alos the dhcp ip

what i do is release and renew and then it works .. but a day or 2 days later it happens again

this is the most common error between all logs ... is it related ?

NtpClient was unable to set a domain peer to use as a time source because of discovery error. NtpClient will try again in 15 minutes and double the reattempt interval thereafter. The error was: The entry is not found. (0x800706E1)

thanks

---

EDIT : we were forced to do a full shutdown to the data centers for power maintenance , the problem did not appear after that ,,, so my best guess it was related to the switches or network in general that was refreshed when we did this huge restart ,, thanks all  

• Edited by Fady Sobhy Wednesday, February 28, 2018 10:28 AM
    Wednesday, January 31, 2018 7:37 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

>>this is the most common error between all logs ... is it related ?

I don't think they are related.

According your event,please check the link below:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/03634794-07b6-4a3e-95df-1dabd17acacb/ntpclient-was-unable-to-set-a-domain-peer-to-use-as-a-time-source-because-of-discovery-error?forum=w7itproappcompat

169.254.xxx.xxx IP address is Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) used when computer configured to use automatic IP addressing but is unable to  contact a DHCP server.  The cause of these could be one of the following:

- DHCP server was temporary unavailable

- computer was not connected to network properly

- computer was not authorized to connect to network

To work around this problem run next commands in elevated command prompt

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

if it does not solves the problem you have a connectivity problem with DHCP server. Try to ping your default DHCP server. Try to ping DHCP server from other machines on same network. If DHCP server available for other computers on same network, then its defiantly connectivity problem between your computer and DHCP server.

Network Connectivity

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961803.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

If it still not working, please place more info:

- what size and kind of network do you have? How many machines on it?Are your clients and DHCP Server in same subnet?Is it wired or wireless network? 

Is the router available to provide DHCP service?

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, February 1, 2018 8:01 AM
  • Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Frank

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, February 5, 2018 8:54 AM
  • Thanks for replying

- DHCP server was temporary unavailable .. i dont think so because this happens to individuals at different times  and not a group of users whom their lease has ended

- computer was not connected to network properly what does that mean ? they are desktop computers joined to our domain and wired connection

- computer was not authorized to connect to network : how can i know if its authorized or not .. i dont get any errors while log in

it works normally when i release and renew the IPs but sometimes it happens for the same users 2 or 3 times

i tried to trace ping the dhcp server and its didnt skip once on any pc

i cant figure out what could be happening when that client asks from ip from the dhcp server the logs does not show anything

network is domain based , 400 pcs , there are multiple vlans and its wired connection

the router can provide dhcp but we dont want it too because its not accessible due to ISP Policies

Thanks

Monday, February 5, 2018 9:56 AM
  • Hi,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.
    Thank you for your understanding and support.
    Best Regards,

Frank

Thursday, February 8, 2018 9:29 AM
  • thanks a lot , awaiting your reply ...

also if it helps .. please note that this is a huge environment with core switch and other equipment that could be the problem .. so please tell me if i need to check something else other than the servers

Friday, February 9, 2018 12:03 PM