Issue with Windows 7 activation after deploying computers with reference image. RRS feed

• Question

• I have about 100 Dell computers to deploy and I am in the process of creating a custom image. My question is, if I do not have a Volume License of Windows 7 pro and want to use the key Dell has embedded in the BIOS do I need to add something to my unattend file? So far, when I test an image after sysprep with computer activation skipped, the SLUI says my product key is incorrect. The reference image was activated but shouldnt that be cleared after generalizing the image? I read on a different forum that if you leave product key information blank it will use the bios OEM key. I have created the image with WIndows 7 Pro media, the same edition as the OEM license.

Another question someone might be able to answer. Lately at work Activating windows with the product key from the sticker on the case and activating Office 2010 with a VL key has been hit and miss and now seems almost impossible. We have not made any significant changes to our firewall that would affect contacting Microsoft for activation.
    Sunday, August 12, 2012 2:11 PM

Answers

• I think it falls under Section 8....

<quote>

8.  SCOPE OF LICENSE. The software is licensed, not sold. This agreement only gives you some rights
    to use the features included in the software edition you licensed. The manufacturer or installer and
    Microsoft reserve all other rights. Unless applicable law gives you more rights despite this limitation,
    you may use the software only as expressly permitted in this agreement. In doing so, you must
    comply with any technical limitations in the software that only allow you to use it in certain ways. You
    may not
    ·  work around any technical limitations in the software;
    ·  reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the software, except and only to the extent that
    applicable law expressly permits, despite this limitation;
    ·  use components of the software to run applications not running on the software;
    ·  make more copies of the software than specified in this agreement or allowed by applicable law,
    despite this limitation;
    ·  publish the software for others to copy;
    ·  rent, lease or lend the software; or
    ·  use the software for commercial software hosting services.

</quote>

(but note that I Am Not A Lawyer!)

Section 10 certainly applies....

<quote>

10.  BACKUP COPY. You may make one backup copy of the software. You may use it only to reinstall the software on the licensed computer.

</quote> (emphasis mine)

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth

• Marked as answer by TechClinton Monday, August 13, 2012 2:23 PM
    Sunday, August 12, 2012 9:37 PM

All replies

• The simple answers is 'you can't do that'

Activation using the manufacturer's OEM_SLP Key requires data embedded in the install from the manufacturer's media - and you are not allowed to replicate that, under the terms of the license.

What you can do is force the first logon to enter the Key from the COA sticker that should be attached to each machine - but there will be the inevitable cases where people ignore this and the machine ends up with a non-genuine notice.

It's far better to use Volume activation.

You'd need to ask about Office VL activation problems in the Office forum - I have no real knowledge of that.

• Edited by Noel D Paton Sunday, August 12, 2012 2:24 PM typos
    Sunday, August 12, 2012 2:21 PM
  • We wanted to try and make the process completely automated. I read in another forum that if you make an image with a volume license copy of Windows 7 you can use the manufacturer's OEM_SLP key. Is that accurate? If that is correct it would require make workplace to purchase a single volume license key correct?
    Sunday, August 12, 2012 3:27 PM
  • While it is possible to use the manufacturer's diskand the OEM_SLP as the basis for a bulk install, it against the License terms.

A Volume License Key is the same for every install from an image - it is a multi-activation Key. You pay for the number of machines you install (i.e. the number of activations). It is for this ability (along with MS support, and other stuff) that you are paying, when you purchase a Volume license, and reduces the management overhead significantly.

Sunday, August 12, 2012 3:42 PM
  • Can you please direct me to where this is in the license agreement? I could not locate it anywhere.
    Sunday, August 12, 2012 9:22 PM
  • I think it falls under Section 8....

<quote>

8.  SCOPE OF LICENSE. The software is licensed, not sold. This agreement only gives you some rights
    to use the features included in the software edition you licensed. The manufacturer or installer and
    Microsoft reserve all other rights. Unless applicable law gives you more rights despite this limitation,
    you may use the software only as expressly permitted in this agreement. In doing so, you must
    comply with any technical limitations in the software that only allow you to use it in certain ways. You
    may not
    ·  work around any technical limitations in the software;
    ·  reverse engineer, decompile or disassemble the software, except and only to the extent that
    applicable law expressly permits, despite this limitation;
    ·  use components of the software to run applications not running on the software;
    ·  make more copies of the software than specified in this agreement or allowed by applicable law,
    despite this limitation;
    ·  publish the software for others to copy;
    ·  rent, lease or lend the software; or
    ·  use the software for commercial software hosting services.

</quote>

(but note that I Am Not A Lawyer!)

Section 10 certainly applies....

<quote>

10.  BACKUP COPY. You may make one backup copy of the software. You may use it only to reinstall the software on the licensed computer.

</quote> (emphasis mine)

• Marked as answer by TechClinton Monday, August 13, 2012 2:23 PM
    Sunday, August 12, 2012 9:37 PM
  • Thank you for your help. After you explained this to me I contacted Dell and they are going to send me a install disk specifically for building an image for corporate environments. The tech said the disk would be the answer to my problem but I want to make sure I am able to activate Windows Automatically. Once I know for sure I will come back and post my results. Thanks again.
    Monday, August 13, 2012 2:23 PM
  • Best news I've had this morning :)

Good luck with it!

Monday, August 13, 2012 2:43 PM