Where can I found out if my 32-bit applications will run on Windows 7 64-bit (Premium / Professional / Ultimate) without problems? RRS feed

• Question

• Where can I find out which 32-bit applications (if any) will work on Windows 7 64-bit OS before I purchase a new laptop?

I need a high performance laptop (i.e. Quad, 6 GB RAM, 1 GB video, etc.) to run AutoCAD 2009 (32-bit) and Autodesk REVIT 2009 (32-bit).  All of my other applications are 32-bit as well, such as Microsoft Office 2003, Quicken, PDF Professional, AVG Anitvirus (32-bit), and printers.  I have no need for 64-bit applications because I do not play computer games.  No one makes a high performance laptop with Windows 7 32-bit, so if I am forced to buy a new laptop that is Windows 7 64-bit am I going to get screwed into purchasing 64-bit software?  My customers all use 32-bit AutoCAD 2009 or older and Autodesk REVIT or older.  These programs are $4,000 each, plus the cost of all the other software applications which gets expensive quick.  Has anyone thought this through?
    Monday, October 26, 2009 6:22 PM

Answers

• Hi hppycmpr,

Almost all 32-bit applications should run with no problem on any of our 64-bit operating systems. I personally use 64-bit both at work and at home and run a plethora of software and have had no problems. There are a couple of rules of thumb you can go by:

1. If it works on 64-bit Windows Vista, it should work the same on 64-bit Windows 7
    2. If the application uses an interactive service, it may not work due to service isolation. This has nothing to do with 32-bit versus 64-bit.
    3. If the application uses a kernel driver, it probably won't work since you can't load a 32-bit driver on a 64-bit OS. This however is rare since most apps don't use drivers.

We have a web page that allows you to type in the name of a piece of software or hardware and see if it is compatible:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/en-us/default.aspx

I already checked, and neither AutoDesk nor AutoCad are yet verified due to waiting on vendor testing. I can tell you from experience however that Office works fine on 64-bit.

Tim Newton - MSFT
    Monday, October 26, 2009 8:13 PM